Diehards

Wednesday, 5 September 2012

The Present

Apparently there's no time like it so here goes.

I keep beginning to write posts; then I get tangled up, too much to report, probably; then I get distracted: Dave comes home, the phone rings, someone knocks on the door, I feel hungry...

So, here's a quick list of what's been happening in the hope it might help disentangle my thoughts and allow me to move on.

I continue to explore the world of vegetarian cooking and expand my active repertoire. In order to help me remember what I can do I've propped a small blackboard on the kitchen radiator.



Thus I don't have to wrack my brains too much when thoughts of supper take hold. Though I find, on the whole, vegetarian food takes much longer to prepare so I to resort humus wraps more often than I'd like. At least I make the hummus myself, mostly.

The first ever Moffat Sheep Race took place on August 12.



Organised by by ex next door neighbour it was a roaring success. I was in the bookshop, but I could feel the jolliness and in between races people came in and told me all about it. Dave was playing in the Ewe 2 session in the Annandale Arms Hotel so once I shut up shop for the day I joined him and the boys in there.

On August 9, Dave had a gig at the Edinburgh Festival, in the marvellous St Brides Centre, so, obviously, I went up with him. In the afternoon he had a sound check so I went to the Picasso exhibition in the Modern, which was marvellous. I didn't see half of it, though, so must, must go back before it ends in November. Meanwhile I'm trying to decide if I can afford to send off for the catalogue which I browsed in the shop and am desperate to read.

August 25 was a day of particular goodness: it marked our half year together. A whole half year! I feel a bit like a three year old saying that, but I can't believe he's put up with me that long. That we've had six whole months and, apart from my lack of funds, everything's been great. I don't think I've ever met a more tolerant man. And romantic, too: every morning he brings me (and himself) a cup of coffee, and we sit in bed and chat about this and that. On this morning he also brought me


I'm thrilled not just because they're gorgeous, but because he wanted to mark this six month anniversary.

Other news: it's Bob (my son)'s birthday on Friday. He'll be 27. I won't get to see him, but I saw him a few weeks ago and hope to see him again before long.

I've only got about a month to go before I start back at the university for the winter semester. This will give me a little money for a little while. Hopefully the house will sell and sort me out for a bit longer.

And that's it. Dave's key is in the door and now I want to talk to him.




21 comments:

Scarlet Blue said...

Sometimes there is just too much to write about!
Sounds like a very thoughtful gentleman, your Dave.
Sx

angryparsnip said...

I have been thinking of you and hoping all was well.
I know what you mean about wanting to write but having so much to tell that you just can't find the time or life gets in the way.... but I am glad your life seems to be a nice "getting in the way".

I am so happy !

cheers, parsnip

savannah said...

lovely, sugar, just absolutely lovely! xoxoxoxo

OKinUK said...

That's a heckuva repertoire! I wonder if I could come close? Hmmm...

Congratulations on 6 months of happies!

Titus said...

Hiya Eryl! So glad to hear you're fine - is it getting cold up there yet?

And add mushroom and pepper Strogonoff to the list - it's just the same as Beef Stogonoff minus the beef (obviously). Just paprika and caraway needed - gorgeous. And quick!

Had something else to say, but got carried away with Terezhina the brilliant Brazilian sprinter! Class act.

Eryl said...

Scarlet ~ Sometimes there is! And I'm not used to actually doing things, in a social way.

Parsnip ~ I had wondered it the blog had outlived its purpose and if I should give it up. But I do rather miss you guys.

Savannah ~ xoxoxoxo

OK ~ I have been cooking for well over thirty years, so it's built up over all that time.

Titus ~ now there's an idea, thanks. We went out mushroom hunting the other day and came back with a bucket of chanterelles, but I just cooked them on their own and we ate them with bread, cheese and wine. The next lot, if there is one, will go into Stroganoff.

Too cold: I'm sitting here in two jumpers and wooly socks – as well as jeans, of course.

Alesa Warcan said...

Hey there, lovely to hear from you. Doubly so since things seem to be going well for you. : j

If you're taking suggestions, an easy vegetarian dish is lasagna... You can replace the meat with portobello mushrooms (or any other kind really) and eggplant, this is also a nice place to slip in some roasted or smoked nuts.
Lasagna is the great fridge emptier, perfect for using whatever is left in your fridge. : D

Rachel Fox said...

Stir fry! You can put anything in it and it's quick!

I always found the 6 month mark significant in a relationship... often at 6 months I started to get bored so when I didn't I knew it was a good sign!

x

Pat said...

Was it not Shirley Conran who said:
'Life's too short to stuff a mushroom.'
Glad you are happy and that you both know how lucky you are.

Eryl said...

Alesa ~ thanks, I'll try that.

Rachel ~ thank you, I'd forgotten about stir fry but made some at your suggestion and it was delicious.

Pat ~ it was Shirley Conran, you're right. I don't agree, though, stuffed mushrooms are fab!

Kim Ayres said...

So Dave's not let you paint one of the walls in the kitchen as a blackboard yet then? :)

Meanwhile, I'll second the veggy lasagne - something not uncommon in this house, and you can do lots of different kinds of vegetable fillings. You can also do veggy cannelloni with the various different veg mixes too.

Maggie makes a rather nice lentil loaf, which always goes down well. And of course, don't forget nut roast :)

The Unbearable Banishment said...

Do you miss meat? Do you feel any different? I'm having a bratwurst for dinner tonight. I get woozy just thinking about it.

Don't let that Picasso exhibit slip away! You know how easily that can happen.

Funds?! Pish. Who needs money when you're on an extended honeymoon?

nick said...

Glad everything's going so well. I'm very impressed with your vegetarian repertoire. It puts my own over-used handful of dishes to shame. Love the earrings too.

india banks said...

I've been thinking about you Eryl - and sending all my good thoughts your way. I've wondered about your herbs and if they're getting enough sun, and imagined you working on your book when you're not working at the bookshop. The coffee in bed thing is great, isn't it? The earrings are lovely and so are you. Thanks for such a happy post and congratulations on your 6 month anniversary xx India

Whirlochre said...

Vegetarian food always takes so long to cook because the vegetables are even stupider than animals.

If you can find either of the Food For Thought cookbooks (from the 80s/90s - named after the Covent Garden restaurant) then you can age gracefully while you blanche.

Does Moffat still have its little theatre? I remember performing Shakespeare for American tourists there.

james atel said...

its such a nice & Awesum blog provide info
hope more people discover your blog because you really know what you’re talking about. Can’t wait to read more from you!
for more plz visit
Toronto airport taxi

rochambeau said...

Congrats on your 6 months together. Finding a partner, a person to be on a team with is truly something to celebrate. I didn't meet my husband until I was 36 and love appreciate him so much.
So, now your a "groupie" ;-) I like that!
Like your veggie repertoire, good going.
It is always a joy to read your words and see how you are doing and thanks for taking me to the lambie races.

xox
Constance

Eryl said...

Kim ~ We do have plans to revamp the kitchen, and when we do...

I haven't made a nut roast for 25 years, the last time I did I grated the flesh off the knuckle of my little finger (right hand), so decided although it was nice it wasn't worth the agony.

UB ~ I still eat meat when I get the chance, it's not often, but I think that makes me appreciate it even more. The only difference I've noticed is that I'm fatter. Though I think that's because I no longer feel constantly ill at ease.

It would be very easy to let the exhibition slip, indeed. I'll do my best not to let it, promise.

Nick ~ my repertoire is probably the result of a slight tendency to overdo things. No doubt it will shrink down to bugger all once I've found something else to focus on.

India ~ the herbs are doing well so I guess they have been getting enough sun, if only just which is amazing considering the horrid weather we've been having.

Coffee in bed is wonderful! And I stay on and work in bed until well into the afternoon, most days.

Whirl ~ it does still have its little theatre! When were you here?

I'll look out for those books, thanks.

James ~ thank you, I will.

Constance ~ yes, I am a groupie! I think it's the role I was born for. Last night I sat between two of the world's best folk musicians as they played in the pub, it was wonderful.

Finding love later in life has a lot of advantages, I'd say.

elizabeth said...

So sorry I haven't written a comment sooner on your blog but have been following your culinary adventures on Instagram!
Yes, awfully much harder work to do veggie --but somewhat possible.
I like the idea of Bombay potato pretty often too!
So happy that you are happy.....
this is such good news.

grrl + dog said...



well of COURSE you dont want to blog - your'e happy.

How many writers only write when they are miserable?

take it as as ign of success that you are stuck for words when your cu is clearly brimming.

He osunds like a keeper. Go chat to him and get off this thing!

Eryl said...

Elizabeth ~ Bombay potato is probably Dave's favourite thing. I'd never made it until I moved in here and now I make it at least once a week. So easy, too.

Denise ~ you're right, of course, writing does seem to be the domain of the angry or angst ridden.