Diehards

Wednesday, 30 May 2012

Um...

Every time I begin to write a post I get in such a tangle I give up. So much happening, so much new. New home, new friends, new jobs. I don't know which to write about, and I never have much time, thus the long silence.

But here's something:


I'm now working in the local book shop for a few hours on a Sunday, which is lovely. On my first day a man came in looking for books on Africa and was delighted to find one about the region he grew up in that featured the story of a man he'd known as a child. We had a very cheerful chat about that. The next week another man found a book about the house he got married in, more delight. Last Sunday a lady from Wales talked for a good half hour about her favourite authors, and went away with an armload of books.

Friends pop in and chat, kids tell me their favourite stories, all number of people recommend titles or authors. And pretty much everyone who comes in finds something to take home and snuggle up with. As I get to know the stock it becomes easier to direct customers to their area of interest, and this in itself generates conversation. But, best of all, in quiet moments I can take a book off the shelves and read. Last Sunday I read a bit from a textbook on Socio Linguistics. If it's still there next week I'll read some more.

This weekend I won't be in the shop as I'm taking Dave to Kent to meet my family. It's my brother's 50th birthday today so a Gasper (my maiden name and possibly the reason I got married so young) celebratory fling has begun (work etc commitments mean we can't go until Friday).  No doubt this will involve a lot of food and a lot of chat, not particularly garrulous as individuals we become so when together. I'm slightly trepidatious: I know they'll love him, but how will he feel in a house full of people who've known each other inside out for most of their lives? Will he see me from a new and horrifying perspective?    

22 comments:

B-u-x said...

what a great job, it sounds lovely!

Bx

Alesa Warcan said...

Bookshops... Magic.
I always wanted to work in connection with the L-Space and a bookshop is just one step removed from that. You're living the dream. : j
I'm sure you'll back Dave up if he needs it. Hope you all have fun!

angryparsnip said...

I always said I could never work in a bookshop or a plant nursery because I would spend all my paycheck there. But it would be a dream.
I think you will have fun at the party. Your family will only want the best for you. Seeing you so happy and I expect glowing, they will be happy for you and Dave.

cheers, parsnip

savannah said...

huzzah, sweetpea!!! what a grand time for you! everything will be delish! i just know it. xoxoxoxo

Kass said...

Your life sounds magical and divine.

Philip said...

Eryl Gasper? That is one brilliant name.

nick said...

I worked in bookshops for 23 years so I know their appeal very well. I had many many absolutely fascinating conversations with well-read booklovers.

I'm sure Dave will feel extremely welcome in your family and there will be no new and horrifying perspective! There might be a few amusing exchanges to share with us afterwards though....

The Weaver of Grass said...

Hang on in there girl. He sounds a lovely man - and he fell in love with you didn't he? All will be well. Glad to read a blog which sounds so much more relaxed and happy than it did this time last year.

Rachel Fox said...

Job sounds great. Long live the bookshop!
As for families...
x

Monica said...

almost my dream job. i worked for waterstones for a bit, what a contrast!
you even get a little reading time - bliss.

Scarlet Blue said...

Have a wonderful weekend! It'll be fine.
Sx

Pat said...

Great to have a part-time job you can enjoy, learn and have good chat. Win win.
I'm sure both Dave and your family love you because you are you and will all want to get on for your sake. However - knowing families - be prepared for some mild teasing.
Give my love to Kent - how it has survived all these years without me...?

steven said...

i love visiting bookshops for the very reasons you share here . . . firstly a good person who is in love with reading . . . . then the books . . . steven

Nota Bene said...

What a lovely start to a new job...

63mago said...

Have a good time m'dear.
Don't worry about the stories, it's all long over now ... :)

alphawoman said...

Sounds like a dream job. Hope they pay you...lol.

India Banks said...

it's a perfect job for you, Eryl - and you're perfect for the bookshop! i'm excited that you're bringing home a beau to your family ~ living vicariously xx

The World According To Me said...

Your book shop sounds delightful. Isn't it great to bond over such things.
I hope all went well with the Dave introduction. I bet when they saw how he makes you happy, they were happy too.

The Unbearable Banishment said...

So...what's it like living my fantasy? I'll bet it's pretty great, isn't it? I pray, PRAY, the internet and e-readers doesn't completely kill off bookstores.

nick said...

So how did it go then?

grrl + dog said...

Uh oh - taking the next step in a new raltionship...

Exposing him to your life long friends. Expect a roasting. So drink lots.

Anonymous said...

Don't ponder too long.
ROB LOWE sure didn't.
Either did " PITTMANN" when it came to SUMAR SUMANDO.
And SLYMIC didn't ponder too long, either when it was
" discovered" about DISNEY- VERMONT and all the
" ROOTS" .
CHENEY was your " hat" and LANCE may have had his
" SIR" , but AUSTRIA gave it up for all that " beefcake- soulpancakes- bedghosts - and HEPOPADU".
CONNICAR?
GYCART?
FAMAK?
CHO?
That's why CONDOLEEZA RICE didn't ponder too long as well and with LIZECO.