Diehards

Sunday, 1 January 2012

My friend Katy, a brilliant young writer and philosopher, posted a quote on Facebook this morning and I like it so much I thought I'd share it with you.


Neil Gaiman's New Year Wish:


"I hope that in this year to come, you make mistakes.


Because if you are making mistakes, then you are making new things, trying new things, learning, living, pushing yourself, changing yourself, changing your world. You're doing things you've never done before, and more importantly, you're Doing Something.


So that's my wish for you, and all of us, and my wish for myself. Make New Mistakes. Make glorious, amazing mistakes. Make mistakes nobody's ever made before. Don't freeze, don't stop, don't worry that it isn't good enough, or it isn't perfect, whatever it is: art, or love, or work or family or life.


Whatever it is you're scared of doing, Do it.


Make your mistakes, next year and forever."

It says what I tried to say in my post yesterday, and so much better.

Christmas kindling


A couple of days ago I looked at the pile of paper sticks I'd made for kindling and thought it looked a bit Christmas treeish, so I placed some pine cones on it (thanks for those, Mary) and plonked a star on top. And it collapsed into a non treeish heap. Not a glorious mistake but, for me, a new one.

14 comments:

angryparsnip said...

uuuooooohoooo...
love the plonked, collapsed, kindling heap...
and the quote too ! I so understood that from your post yesterday.
Brilliant !

cheers, parsnip

The Weaver of Grass said...

And a perfect example of what you mean Eryl. Love it and the idea.

Kim Ayres said...

Wonderful :)

Happy New Year, Eryl - hope it's a good one for you, Stevie and Bob :)

rochambeau said...

What an excellent wish for this new year Eryl!! It makes me smile to read as you have the wittiest sense of humor.

Out of mistakes come some of the most astonishing art! If you don't like to read instructions you will end up making tons of mistakes. I like seeing where the process takes me. To not be afraid to be brave a bold and experiment and try. It is FUN!!

Happy, Creative , Prosperous, Healthy
Twenty
12

xox
Constance

savannah said...

perfectly lovely and also hot damn funny! here's to mistakes and new things, sugar! xoxoxoxox

India Banks said...

happy new year Eryl and thanks for the brilliant piece xx

Eryl said...

Parsnip ~ I knew you understood, it was your comment that inspired me to post this quote, an thus expand the idea. Your understanding is a gift.

Weaver ~ I'm beginning to take a notion to do a regular mistake post!

Kim ~ thank you. And may you make many glorious mistakes in 2012 and beyond.

Constance ~ oh, the dreaded instruction manual; I do try to read them, but they rarely make any sense!

Let's hear it for mistakes! Happy new year to you and your family.

Savannah ~ cheers to that... XXXXX

India ~ thank you; very happy new year to you too!

MITM said...

Whimsical mistakes are always a plus. Your friend's comments are spot on - more of us should heed this advice.

I've been thinking about you and a few other writers I know who are facing a similar situation work wise as we enter 2012. And it dawned on me that writing, like improvisational composition, is driven by forces deep within us, sometimes primal and simultaneously ethereal. It is important in our art to keep a sense of balance and a sense of humor.

I leave you with this line:

I once asked a writer what kinda of writing pays the most. He said, ransom notes.
(GET SHORTY)

63mago said...

I am a bit late with my wishes, but they ae heartfeld: All the best for You and all Yours for the coming New Year, dear Eryl. I am very glad to read your blog.

grrl + dog said...

my word is:

hy sissta,
so..

Hi!

Have the jump on that already , plenty of goofy goofing in the studio making messes happily.

Pat said...

Good advice!
The tree is a work of art.

Eryl said...

MITM ~ I love that film, haven't seen it in years.

I do think that writing for money is the wrong approach. Better to write for the love of it, because you have something to say, and do something else for money. Reducing one's passion to a wage packet must surely kill it.

Mago ~ not late at all! And thank you. I hope you have a wonderful year, full of refound libraries.

Denise ~ I can see in your work that you have fun with it, and I aspire to be more like you this year.

Pat ~ do you think Saatchi will want it?

Sarah Allen said...

That picture is awesome :) I would say it was a success. Neil Gaiman always makes awesome whenever he speaks.

Sarah Allen
(my creative writing blog)

Eryl said...

Thank you, Sarah.