Diehards

Sunday, 25 April 2010

National Poetry Writing Month, Day Twentyfive

RWP says today"

It’s Day #25, and you may be getting tired. In Joseph Harker’s prompt today, let others do the heavy lifting of inspiration.
Keep an ear out for the first sentence (or even word) that is said to you after you read this prompt. (Poetic license: If the first few words are exceptionally boring, wait for the first uncommon or peculiar one.) Take that word/sentence — it could be “mango” or “exemplar” or “have you ever been to this Ethiopian restaurant?” — and build a poem around it. Maybe you have deep thoughts on mangoes or a narrative of heartbreak and spicy injera from the restaurant mentioned. Trust in fate.

So:

after last night’s curry with the bass players my husband tossed and turned all night in self induced agony, so I was kept awake until he got up. I reckon I got no more than two hours sleep the whole night and I dragged myself out of bed this morning feeling murderous. I used the first sentence I actually took notice of today as the title of this poem. It was uttered by a chap called Lawrence Blackadder who was giving a lecture on playing acoustic jazz. I don’t know anything about music but the lecture was fascinating. It was enough to wake me up for an hour or so and I frantically jotted down some of his sentences. Such things as: ‘you’re playing anticipations;’ ‘the hierarchy of intervals,’ and ‘don’t voice the roots’. I thought of writing a villanelle, but am too tired to think so this is what arrived in my too knackered state.

The Gut has a Real Organic Earthy Sound

Because tonight you ate your weight
in king prawn korma
I must lay awake with a stuck
warthog trapped
in a net
but it’s our bed
but it’s our bed
and I can’t help wishing
you
or I
were dead.

Stevie and I have already joked about this so hopefully he won't be offended. Now I must get some sleep.

15 comments:

Pat said...

Excellente!

Alesa Warcan said...

Sweet dreams Eryl.

Titus said...

Brilliant title!
And just the thing for a jaded poetic palate.
Brings to mind a horrendous night in Plymouth many, many moons ago. Alone in a strange city...

savannah said...

well done, sugar, it reads like a jazz riff sounds! xoxoxo

angryparsnip said...

almost choked on my drink !
terrific title and a poem to die for !
feel better soon...

Eryl Shields said...

Pat ~ do you know the feeling?

Alesa ~ thank you. I don't remember any dreams, just ten hours of blackout, bliss.

Titus ~ isn't it? I wish I'd invented it, and I'm sure it would make a great repeat in a villanelle.

Have you written about that night?

Savannah ~ does it?! I don't know jazz at all, one day I'll take some time and listen to some properly, people keep recommending a particular Charlie Parker album.

Parsnip ~ oh no, I hope you didn't spill it.

I feel much better now, lack of sleep kills me but it doesn't take too much to rectify the situation.

Alesa Warcan said...

Yes, I suppose all things considered, sweet undisturbed slumber might have been a more appropriate wish. Glad you got it.

Unrelated, you put up a link to your son's travel-blog... You've raised a real charmer. : j

The Weaver of Grass said...

How I love the stuck warthog image - I shall definitely use it on a snoring occasion!

Eryl Shields said...

Alesa ~ he's adorable isn't he? I still can't get over that Stevie and me managed to create such a perfect person simply by combining our genes. But I suppose all parents feel the same.

Weaver ~ glad you like it, and hope you never actually have to use it.

Alesa Warcan said...

Yes he is.
There's a lot of you there! Maybe it's the wry connection with reality tempered with style and grace... and the readiness to bite heads off should the need arise. ;j How is he like Stevie?

Titus said...

Not yet. Bit wild, even by my standards.

Eryl Shields said...

Alesa ~ blimey, you can tell all that about him/us from a few blog posts! I feel very complimented, just that you think he's very like me.

Physically he is much more Stevie than me, they have the same hair and nose. Also, confidence: Stevie is that kind of 'I can fly' confident whereas I am self critical to the point of paralysis at times. Bob comes somewhere in between.

Titus ~ you've got me about as intrigued as I've been in a long time.

Alesa Warcan said...

Lol, just impressions, guesses, and deductions... I certainly don't claim to know the "Truth" about anyone or anything. But I can back up anything I said in this case with the reasoning that got me there and what I'm drawing my impressions from.

And well, you have more than "few" blog posts, and they go back some ways.

Kass said...

Love this perfect little masterpiece!

Eryl Shields said...

Alesa ~ :)

Kass ~ 'perfect little masterpiece!'? Thank you!