Diehards

Thursday, 22 April 2010

National Poetry Writing Month, Day Twentytwo

The RWP prompt for the day is:

from Read Write Poem member Catherine who provided the contents for today’s prompt, a Wordle.











Use one, or use them all, in the poem you write today.

I thought I’d use them all, just for the heck of it.

Holiday Snap

A dizzy tendril of saffron flies
from its container on the emporium
stall: his baby hair as a squall
blows up out of nowhere: fierce. Rust,

like bloodied skin flakes, falls
in this mini-break home from
home. I flinch, and a crow
sees all. He knows.

You can turn off the drill
but you cannot compensate,
it will reverberate,
pepper tomorrow and well
past the mourning date.

9 comments:

Alesa Warcan said...

Snazzy! I read it before reading the prompt, and thought that it felt natural. I wouldn't have guessed it was done under constraints. It just flows like an illustrated story...

Pat said...

I had to read this a few times to put my own meaning to it - a pleasurable experience.
I brought saffron back from Greece and it sits in the spice cupboard lonely and unloved. I feel mean.

Elisabeth said...

You have a wonderful way with words, Alesa. They flow as of from nowhere. I read them again and again and they mesh into images as in a dream. Stunning.

Alesa Warcan said...

Gee thanks! ; j
But I'm pretty sure that the person with the wonderful way with words you're thinking of is Eryl.

Eryl Shields said...

Alesa ~ an illustrated story, how lovely, I've always wanted to be able to draw.

Pat ~ I once bought a little box of saffron strands from some ridiculously expensive delicatessen and it just languished in the cupboard after I'd used about three strands for a risotto. I always think it makes things taste musty, like an unused church, though I love the colour.

Elizabeth ~ I will assume that your comment was meant for me (rather than Alesa) and you've just had a long day. So, thank you. I think we, probably, each have a well of images and only need someone to provide us with the bucket and pulley to retrieve them.

Alesa ~ smiles.

gautami tripathy said...

A delightful read. Great use of imagery!

BTW, I too used all the words.

flinching fiercely

newjenny said...

Very rich! Reminds me of Bob Dylan.

Eryl Shields said...

Bob Dylan? Gosh.

Kass said...

Love the richness of these words and how you used them. I especially liked that the crow saw all.