Diehards

Tuesday, 20 April 2010

National Poetry Writing Month, Day Twenty

Today's RWP prompt is:

As a child, Jessica GC says she had two heroes: Wonder Woman and her mother. “To me, they were one and the same,” says Jessica. “Both had long dark hair. Both were strikingly beautiful, and both had incredible strength.”

Write a poem in which you to pay tribute to your hero, past or present.
Here are few possibilities for inspiration:

What made your childhood hero so special? What traits did you envy? Are super powers involved?

Do you have more than one hero? Consider drawing a comparison between them.
Honor the everyday heroes among us — the policemen, the fire fighters, the troops — risking their lives everyday.

Did your hero ever fall from the pedestal you put him or her on?

Maybe you’re the hero you want to write about! Have you ever had a moment when someone has made you feel like a hero? Did you ever save a cat from a burning building? Or maybe it was something as simple as staying up all night with a friend who needed you.

In any case, share with us in your poem what made or makes your hero so deserving of admiration.

Demon Slayer

Like Gremolata you revitalize
my dull staples, a life-spice,
zesty with a hint of bite.
Comforting as a glass
of dark red wine, you ease
out my truths and make
them feel fine.

I'll get back to visiting everyone soon, I promise.

11 comments:

Paul C said...

Excellent poetry assignment and poem

you revitalize
my dull staples, a life-spice,
zesty with a hint of bite.

Wow. Love the sound and rhythm going on there.

Julie Jordan Scott said...

I need someone like this in my life... damn.

Great work. Evocative and inspiring.

Kass said...

I love the sound of Gremolata.
Love the idea of a demon slayer.
I could really get my teeth into this one.

Alesa Warcan said...

Nicely done, Eryl.
That was as tasty as an Osso Buco!

flaubert said...

I am thinking that person could possibly be my hero, too!
Pamela

Eryl Shields said...

Paul C ~ thank you, glad you feel the sound and rhythm works here, I worry about these things: have I overdone the assonance have I not paid enough attention to the assonance, is 'zesty' a crap word?

Julie Jordan Scott ~ I know, I'm very lucky.

Kass ~ isn't Gremolata a great word and it slays the demon boredom every time.

Alesa ~ thank you.

Pamela ~ if you ever come to Scotland I'll introduce you.

Alesa Warcan said...

What's wrong with zesty as a word?

As long as it isn't said by a french villain in a period drama as he talks about where is foes live: "Zesty vere zose peegs leeve." At which point he would twirl his mustache and laugh evilly.

Do write out loud when you create?

Pat said...

Love the title. I want one.

Pat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The Weaver of Grass said...

Liked that poem. Shall now go away and think what inspired me in my childhood.

Eryl Shields said...

Alesa ~ I love 'zesty' for the sound, and for the instant reminder of Amalfi lemons, but I sometimes think it's used in a kind of clichéd way here, especially by advertisers: 'drink Spangle and feel zesty all day!!!' And, call me elitist, but I fear such associations.

I do write out loud, and when I feel I'm getting near to the last edits I record myself reading too, even long prose pieces.

Pat ~ you already have ytl and I know he is one.

Weaver ~ excellent, I look forward to reading the results.