Diehards

Monday, 19 April 2010

National Poetry Writing Month, Day Nineteen

Today's RWP prompt is:

For today’s NaPoWriMo prompt, Read Write Poem member rRallentanda introduces a word that’s new to many of us: éclat. Online dictionaries (like this one) list several definitions, but it is the etymology that inspires the meaning chosen for today’s prompt. The word éclat is French, and we’re paying attention to its root éclater, “to burst (out), shine.”

For Rallentanda, and us, this means a flash or light bulb moment. Everyone has had one. Things suddenly fall into place (a realization of the truth of the matter).

Often the situation is too painful to address, so you hide it. For example, you suspect your husband is having an affair with your best friend or you suddenly realize where the missing cash went from your wallet all those years ago.

It can even be humorous. You usually wear your best under garments for a visit to the gynecologist, but as you’re ready to strip off you suddenly realize you are wearing your old gardening knickers with all the broken elastic. Try to describe the ensuing feelings of embarrassment and desperate attempts to rectify this situation.

I actually know of someone who tripped and fell on stage at a gala performance. She was so humiliated that she pretended she was having a heart attack (which seemed, to her at the time, the better option).

Your poem should express the emotions that grip you as you experience your ’shock’ moment.

After a break of three days I feel really rusty and haven't been able to do much with this prompt at all. But needs must, so here is my sorry offering. I have a vague idea for two more verses but can't seem to write the bastards.

Torched


Hauled to the surface
by a fish-hook pierce
to the clitoris I tried
to shade my lidless eyes
but pinned, I had no defense
against the nail sharp rays.

12 comments:

Alesa Warcan said...

Hey there Eryl welcome back!

Is that piece about waking up after a rough night on the town?
Certainly sounds uncomfortable enough...

savannah said...

i passed out after the fish-hook pierce
to the clitoris
! xoxoxo

Sharon Longworth said...

Ouch! So few words, but such a vivid image - I'm almost pinned and squirming myself. Well done.

Elisabeth said...

I've been reading up on circumcision and genital mutilation and this one had me reeling all over again. Thanks for the definition of eclat, that defining moment.

Eryl Shields said...

Alesa ~ thank you, nice to be back, if back I am. Interruptions seem to throw me so far off it takes concerted effort to get back.

It's just about one of those forced to look at everything about your whole life moments from which you can't escape.

Savannah ~ sorry sweet-pea! XXXXX

Sharon ~ thanks.

Elizabeth ~ I've only skirted round the issue of female circumcision and genital mutilation, never read anything in any depth because it makes me want to round up all men and annihilate them. It's the rationalization that really infuriates me. Thank goodness for people like you who are able to study it, without who there would be no chance of change.

Scarlet Blue said...

I immediately thought of Touche Eclat!
I would have written a poem about having bad skin when I was a teen!
Sx

P.S...but yes - OUCH.

Titus said...

I think this one I'll remember.
Very, very good.

Jimmy Bastard said...

Written with bite! Superb hen, superb.

Eryl Shields said...

Scarlet ~ I knew I'd heard the word 'eclat' before! Thank goodness I didn't remember or my poem would have been about eye-bags, though, that might not have been such a bad thing.

Titus ~ ha! thanks.

Jimmy ~ if I were a fish I'd be a pike.

Pat said...

Ouch that hurt!
Can you believe people elect to be pierced in such places?

Touche eclat is a beauty aid I've used.

Pat said...

There Scarlet spotted it too. Maybe Jimmy's right

Eryl Shields said...

Pat ~ I still remember the pain of having my ears pierced in 1976, and I find it astonishing that anyone would want to pierce that!

I used to use Touche Eclat by the bucket load when I lived amongst people.

Jimmy's always right.