Diehards

Monday, 12 April 2010

National Poetry Writing Month, Day Twelve

It's nearly eleven thirty and I've been doing everything but trying to write a poem, oh no! I considered not bothering when I realised it was so late, but think I'll probably regret it so the RWP prompt is:

Make up a secret code. Begin by writing a few nonsense sentences, like “The raindrops tap out a cry for help” or “The dandelions are saying all at once, ‘You are overwhelmed.’” The formula is easy: come up with a message and assign it to something unlikely. Remember, of course, that inanimate objects can speak and that signs and symbols may be nonverbal.
Once you have a few sentences, select the one that is most intriguing to you and use it to start a poem.

And I am now just going to dash something off and be damned.

The Regal has branded,
and it will be a slow
day in hell, I can tell
you, when I will let
a cigarette do that and get
away with it. Justice
must be done! The trust
of this great nation depends
upon it. We will round
up every last one and burn
them all. Only then
will our lungs be free to breath.
Do you hear me?

I apologise in advance, but needs must and I've only got seven minutes left.

Update: I changed 'fag' to 'cigarette' because I suddenly remembered that this blog is read by people who are not English and that 'fag' means something quite different in other parts of the world.

14 comments:

Titus said...

Aw c'mon. Any poem that starts
"The Regal has branded" has captured its USP in just four words. Epic line.

Greg O'Connell said...

Great fun, from tip to filter. =)

Eryl Shields said...

Titus ~ d'ya think?!

Greg ~ now I really must give up smoking.

Lulu LaBonne said...

I really like this one - great first line!

flaubert said...

I love this poem! Fun!
Pamela

Richelle Dodaro said...

I really like this poem! I like line "slow day in hell", powerful image!

Alesa Warcan said...

You work well under pressure... Or is it simply that you work well.
I got this without even knowing that regal was a brand of cigs (looked it up afterwards to make sure).
Have you ever done chat room improetry? It like IRL improetry except you have a few extra seconds to think things out and you don't have to remember what comes before the verse you're about to type. I'm sure you'd be stellar at it. It's lot of fun, and this piece reminds me in style and rhythm of some of the better things produced from such sessions.

Carole said...

Brilliant. Fun. You are good at this.

Pat said...

Yikes I can't even understand the question.
Folorn hope that you have renounced the weed? Don't mind me:)

Elisabeth said...

Brilliant, Eryl. And all done in a few minutes. The moral high ground can muster strength.

Kass said...

I've hit such a wall, I can't even get my big toe to be poetic. You've done a great job here. I'd be inspired, but I'm still wallowing around.

Eryl Shields said...

Lulu ~ there is a place for absurdity in all our lives, I hope!

Pamela ~ great!

Richelle ~ I'm pretty sure I remembered, rather than invented, that line, but what the hell?

Alesa ~ I've never done improetry at all. In fact I didn't even know there was such a thing. I will check it out though as it sounds interesting.

Carole ~ you are too kind.

Pat ~ not quite, yet. But I can feel it beginning to renounce me.

It took me ages to get the question. It was only when Stevie said 'the eagle has landed' as I stood whining in the kitchen, that I had something to grasp.

Elizabeth ~ I think I need that extreme pressure to moralise, otherwise I'm terribly vague.

Kass ~ wallowing's good, I view it as another term for mustering the necessary capacities to get a job done properly.

Have you tried writing a poem about your unpoetic big toe?

Tuesday Kid said...

The reactions might have been worth a giggle and an explaination if you'd kept it as fag.

Good poem.

Eryl Shields said...

Tuesday Kid ~ that's very true! And thank you.