Diehards

Friday, 2 April 2010

National Poetry Writing Month, Day Two

The Read Write Poem NaPoWriMo challenge, day two:

Type RPW into acronym attic, pick an acronym, and write a poem inspired by it.

Ratings Were Placed

She put on weight with every child
and never lost it.
One Christmas she forgot to put
the turkey on to cook.
She didn’t dye her hair
when grey took over.
She often said she’d rather
read a book.
She failed to comprehend
the rules of football.
She gave up wearing heels
for comfort’s sake.
She took a job but never
earned much.
She never quite got into
abstract art.

At your behest she tried her hand at baking.
The cake she made sunk like a heart.

I know this is all over the place, but today has been busy and now I've had too much wine.

13 comments:

savannah said...

it may have been all over the place as you say, sugar, but the last 2 lines summed it up perfectly. xoxoxox

Lulu LaBonne said...

This is great - one per day wow!

Go Girl!!!!!!!

Titus said...

No no! This has got something. Emotional engagement for sure.

angryparsnip said...

WOW !

ripped my heart out . . .

joannejohns said...

Ahem. Okay, I'll put down my book and go and dye my hair, but I'm not wearing heels for anyone!!!

Great poem :)

Eryl Shields said...

Savannah ~ thank you lady. It is a bit of a mess though, XXXXX

Lulu ~ I like being called 'girl'!

Titus ~ imagine actually being rated.

Parsnip ~ oh no, I'll put it right back.

Joanne Johns ~ I'll dye my hair and wear heels, as long as I can sit and read my book.

Thank you.

Erin Davis said...

Not all over the place at all. The last two lines bring it to perfection.

one more believer said...

every line unfolded as a towel in the wind... i smiled, laughed smirked, sighed.. ya, you did good!!! happy day 2... monster moves

Wayne Pitchko said...

nicely done....thanks for sharing this

Shari Smothers said...

I think I know this person you've described so clearly. Nice job!

Shari

Golden West said...

Well done, Eryl! A poem a day for the month will be such a great push - looking forward to reading more!

Pat said...

Makes me think of 'Try a little tenderness.'
Evocative.

Eryl Shields said...

Erin ~ thank you.

Believer ~ nice image, thanks.

Wayne ~ you're very welcome.

Shari ~ give her a hug.

Golden ~ 'out of one's comfort zone' feels very apt.

Pat ~ absolutely! Does there come a time when one is less harsh on oneself, I wonder?