Diehards

Thursday, 1 April 2010

I Picked up the Gauntlet



The Read Write Poem NaPoWriMo challenge is to write a poem every day of April. I have to fill my empty nest somehow so I signed up for it. They give prompts, thank goodness.

Today's was:

Put your iPod or iTunes (or other mp3 player) on shuffle. (If you don’t have a music player that shuffles, you can choose CD or album titles at random from your collection by writing several titles down on little slips of paper … works the same way.)
Write down the first five titles that come up. No cheating allowed!
Use all five titles to draft a new poem. They have to be used intact — you can interrupt them with punctuation, but you may not remove or change words.

My iPod gave me:

‘Inside Out’ by the Travelling Wilburys, ‘Little Drummer Boy’ by Bright Eyes, ‘She Spreads Her Wings’ by Semisonic, ‘In Dulce Jubilo’ by the Westminster Boy’s Choir, and ‘Telephone Call from Istanbul’ by Tom Waits

Sweet Turn

Trapped and turning
inside out.
In dulce jubilo.

She spreads her wings
but they are broken.
In dulce jubilo.

Her head is played
by your little drummer boy.
In dulce jubilo.

Then a telephone call
from Istanbul.
In dulce jubilo.

11 comments:

Doug said...

I think your poem one, is good, concise, and interesting.

Good Luck with the month.

Regards,
Doug

one more believer said...

a most enjoyable start to day 1. love music and how we each have our own story....

savannah said...

well done1 and interesting prompt - ipod shuffle! xoxoxo

metaphysicworld said...

I love how this came out! The repetition is great but my favorite part is the last stanza. It has a sense of urgency and then really leaves you hanging! Thanks for sharing :)

Pat said...

That's pretty good. Sadly I haven't an ipod. I can see the fascination. A month is a long time - still better than spring cleaning:)

Titus said...

I am starting to suspect you of masochistic leanings. A poem a day!
Interesting start though, and the repetition works particularly well. Somehow, you've come away with a sense of meaning from an odd assemblage, so bravo!

angryparsnip said...

A poem a day... are you still in portfolio mode ? ? ?
With my month of art I had a few road blocks but it does make you think about I must make time to do this...
I love when my iPod shuffle... One song is Samba music or Christmas and the next is Japanese or Korean kind of startling but great fun...
cheers, parsnip

Eryl Shields said...

Doug ~ thank you, you too.

One more believer ~ me too.

Savannah ~ I must confess to having thought: 'what the hell am I going to do with this?' when the songs came up.

Metaphysical world ~ thank you.

Pat ~ iPods seem to have become like televisions: we assume everyone has one.

Titus ~ I'm hoping to learn from it, but who knows?

Parsnip ~ now the portfolio is done I thought this would be just the thing to keep me writing. Especially poetry, I tend to be a bit of a slacker there!

When I put my iPod on shuffle I'm always surprised at what comes up.

stephen said...

Great collection of Discount Kitchen Furniture for your modern kitchen room in a modern way.

Pat said...

Do you have to stick it in your ear?

Eryl Shields said...

Stephen ~ if only I had a modern kitchen room.

Pat ~ no, you can use any headphones or plug it into speakers. I hate those things you stick in your ears, they fall out.