Diehards

Friday, 24 July 2009

On Tribes and Pudding

Good day yesterday. First up I had a meeting with my writing group: there's something about being with like-minded people that is always über invigorating, but this was a particularly good meeting. We are readying ourselves for a performance of our work at the Wigtown Book Festival in September and it's getting exciting. We will be performing work written in response to the sculptor Elizabeth Waugh who turned 80 earlier this year and is still as prolific as ever. She is incredibly inspirational: strong as an ox, sharp as a scalpel, and highly skilled. You may remember (those of you who were around then) this picture of her garden wall that I did a post on some time ago. I love this wall.


So we discussed how best to present our work: just standing up and reading is a bit boring and rather short-lived, we want to give the public something more, something to engage with on another sensual level, like Liz does. Her work is all about the body, both human and animal, and is mostly bronze which she encourages people to touch: it's all smooth, cool, curves and hollows if you close your eyes and just feel.

I went into the meeting with a few ideas and came out with a bundle, bursting with enthusiasm, and starving. So I phoned Stevie and asked him to meet me in our favourite local café for a bite on my way home. He had a baked potato, but I had this:



after which I was ready to get on with some work.

12 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

Defintely prefer your choice at the cafe :)

savannah said...

ohmygawd!!! that looks too gorgeous and consequently, absolutely too delicious not to eat! mmmmmmm...dessert
xoxoxox

Titus said...

Aaargh. After we left you we went to Homebase (bookshelves, again) and then Tescos where I demeaned myself with macaroni and chips. I am horribly jealous of your cosmopolitan ways.
Nice further insight into Elizabeth for me though. Great wall!

Eryl Shields said...

Kim ~ how could anyone choose a baked potato when that was on offer!?

Savannah ~ I find it virtually impossible not to go in and eat one every time I walk past that cafe!XXX

Titus ~ my cosmopolitan ways? Macaroni and chips sounds great!

Glad to have provided insight.

angryparsnip said...

The picture of the wall is just amazing ! I love when you are able to touch the sculptures it really helps.

Of course touching/eating the "OMG ! sculpture of amazing culinary goodness" is a great way to end any meeting. . .

PI said...

'So we discussed how best to present our work: just standing up and reading is a bit boring and rather short-lived, we want to give the public something more, something to engage with on another sensual level, like Liz does. Her work is all about the body, both human and animal, and is mostly bronze which she encourages people to touch: it's all smooth, cool, curves and hollows if you close your eyes and just feel.'

Eryl my imagination is running riot!!!!!!

Re the caff - I can recognise my favourite meringue but what is the substance?

Eryl Shields said...

Parsnip ~ touching and eating the 'OMG! sculpture of amazing culinary goodness' (such a fitting name!), was, I felt, a perfect tribute to Liz, her work and her wall.

Pat ~ !!!!!!!!!!!!! Sometimes all it takes is for someone to quote my own words back to me...

Not meringue but ice-cream (three scoops) on hot waffles with syrup, fruit compote, fudge pieces, white chocolate buttons, sugared nuts, a flake and two different types of wafer: my entire week's calories in one joyful sitting. If you click on the picture it grows large and you can see the details a bit more clearly.

PI said...

For once I'm speechless.

And salivating.

debra said...

I loved the sculptures when I first saw them, and i love them now.
And then there's the culinary sculpture: refined carbohydrates extraordinaire!

Eryl Shields said...

Pat ~ I've noticed, from your own eating out posts, that you are a bit of a pudding girl!

Debra ~ I knew you would be one who remembered the first time.

Every time I order this it gets slightly more elaborate, I'd love to find that the girl who makes it is an art student.

angryparsnip said...

Eryl. . . you would love desserts in Japan, at lest one afternoon we set aside some time to devote ourselves to a parfait. . . a tall ice cream glass filled with layers of ice cream, fruit, cream, custard, nuts, cookies and of course corn flakes (really good) it is an artistic experience ! a tower of OMG! and well worth it as your looked.
You woulds love it ! coffee is good too !

Eryl Shields said...

Parsnip ~ a parfait sounds like my dream dessert, and I love cornflakes too! I really have to get to Japan, soon.