Diehards

Wednesday, 22 July 2009

Maggie Can

“Art is the expression of the voice of gifted individuals with a point of view.”*

I went to see Maggie Ayres’ exhibition on Sunday.

I'm not a visual artist so am not really equipped to pass judgment on visual art: I don't really know what I'm looking for, can't speak of brush strokes and execution, but I know what I like and can have a stab at saying why if I'm pushed. I tend to be drawn to work that, yes, is beautiful, but goes beyond that, and beyond itself: a perfect representation of a chicken, or anything else, will rarely get me excited. Maggie's work in this exhibition did (and does still), I will be going back soon.

There was one piece in particular that I loved. It’s a three dimensional shape, so I guess you’d call it sculpture, which is an interesting departure from her usual highly textured but backed by canvas work. It’s form, colours and textures seem to me to combine in a way that makes a coherent whole: it is a thing in itself.



I could bang on about all the various references I see in it: corsets, plaster casts, shipwrecks, blood and bone that take it beyond itself, but it’s probably best that I don't.




I also really liked this piece,



there’s something of the sea in it, as if the sea has been taken to hospital and wrapped in bandages and is now trying to break free. Or perhaps it has broken free and this is what remains of what we tried and failed to do. No? (I know I have a tendency to over analyse).




*Richard Eyre: I read this in The Guardian newspaper some months ago, can't remember the date.

12 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

How wonderful! Maggie is delighted and chuffed to bits with your blog :)

Just one tiny thing - Ayres is not spelled Ayers.

Did you know there's a Meet the Artist gallery tour on the 7th and a 2 day workshop on the 8th & 9th of August? - see her exhibitons page for more details.

Hopefully we'll catch up with you before then though :)

debra said...

This is something I wrote about art:
"Art feeds the spirit and soul; it brings light and life to being. Art can make your heart sing and your spirit soar. Something that comes from the heart through the hands. It is no accident that there is art in heART.

When you support an artist, you affirm the creative spirit. You have the opportunity to see the world in a different way, as the artist’s vision is manifested in the piece he or she has made."

Maggie's work touches my spirit. Thank you for writing about it.

PI said...

That makes me want to see it in the flesh - so to speak. It's difficult to get the 3D effect with a photo - but I'm grateful for the chance to see them, so thank you. The middle shot is so different to the top one and is quite balletic to me. It's the sort of art one wants to moon over and sit and look at from all angles and dream.

Eryl Shields said...

Kim ~ bugger! sorry will rectify the spelling now. Glad Maggie's pleased, I must have written about 35 drafts!

Yes, I saw that and I may just come along to meet the artist. I won't do the workshop even though I would love to as I really can't afford to be too distracted from my writing at the moment.

Debra ~ the thing I love about art is that opportunity to see the world in a different way.

Pat ~ it is balletic isn't it? It has so many different layers to it, this piece. Perhaps Maggie will bring her work down your way one day.

Titus said...

Oh, really interesting works. Each piece conjures so much in my mind, and the contrast between the two is also intriguing. Boer War just shot into my head when I saw them both, but you're right, the associations are really endless, and individual. I'm no art critic.
Must try and get there to see them.

And there's an award waiting for you when you drop over to mine.

Scarlet-Blue said...

They do look ethereal and fleeting. Like they're trying to capture a brief moment. I'd like to see them for real too.
Sx

savannah said...

i am so jealous! i'd love to see maggie's work in person, too. xoxox

i loved the first one, too..that shock of red!)

Eryl Shields said...

Titus ~ the Boer War, that's a good one. Have you been to Farfieldmill before, it's another one of those leave your checkbook behind places!?

An award you say? I'll be right over.

Scarlet ~ throw a sickie and come on up, I'll put a bed in the shed for you, X

Savannah ~ I love that shock of red, it's so visceral, XXX

Coffee with Cathy said...

Love the textures and unspoken stories here. Thank you so much for sharing the photos and your insight.

Eryl Shields said...

Cathy ~ insight, gosh?

MaryWitzl said...

I saw Maggie's exhibit last year and thought it was great. Wish I could see these photographs now, but we've got a weird internet set up that won't let us see pictures easily -- I've got about 1/3 of each photo now, which gives a very weird effect...

Eryl Shields said...

Mary ~ how peculiar! I'll show them to you when I come over, which I will do soon, promise!