Diehards

Thursday, 2 July 2009

Bring Me Sunshine

Forgive me blogger for I have sunned, it has been three weeks since my last post. In that time I have been to a literary festival; the launch of a friend's latest collection of poems, and the party that followed; a reading by T. S. Eliot prize winner, Jen Hadfield, and – get this – delivered my first, ever, lecture. Mostly, though I've been 'making the most' of the good weather. In the last few days I've also been trying to prevent said good weather draining the life out of my garden. Which means endlessly tramping up and down the steps from garden to kitchen to fill, and then empty, my watering can. I don't have an outside tap because the sky usually acts as one. This is probably the one year I could have successfully grown tomatoes but it is actually the first year I've made an effort to grow things that like cold, dampness.

I must remember to do that again next year...

It's just got warmer and warmer over the course of about two weeks, today it is 27ºc, but apparently it is set to cool down and rain again over the weekend. My Angelica will be glad and so will my dissertation supervisor: I've done no real work for some time.


The Borders book Festival crowd enjoying the start of the sunshine.


The poshest portaloos I've ever had the pleasure of...


Ice-cream in Scotland?

15 comments:

savannah said...

taking a break is such a good thing, sugar! i love the last picture, you look as if you're a teenager! xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Crumbs books festivals, a superb reading with Jen H last night, Tom's book launch, ice cream that looks really good and sunshine ....and your first lecture - what more could a girl wish for? You're right Savannah - Eryl does resemeble a teenager! How do you do it Eryl?
Ony xxx

Eryl Shields said...

Savannah ~ you are so kind, on both counts!XXX

Ony! ~ hello my love, I don't think there is anything else I could wish for, truth be told, except, perhaps, your book launch – I will not allow myself to dream about my own.

It's the stripy jumper... XXX

PI said...

Even I sin from time to time:)
Love the sweater.
Re watering: watch you use both arms not always the same one - you'll be glad later.

Scarlet-Blue said...

Erm... I want one of those portaloos!!!
Sx

Eryl Shields said...

Pat ~ I have to use both arms at the same time! You sin, never...

Scarlet ~ I nearly moved in! X

Kim Ayres said...

Glad you're still alive, and thriving by the sound of it :) I've never seen loos with flowers in. Well, apart from using the flowerbeds in a garden late at night...

Titus said...

Hi Eryl, nice toilets. Thanks for stopping by at mine and I'll be back after my holiday. I have left this message elsewhere but then I noticed the date.

angryparsnip said...

Oh I could die. . . green grass, old church in back ground and tents full of books and ice cream !

and you look fabulous !

I want to live in Scotland too !

Eryl Shields said...

Kim ~ the world is your toilet...

Titus ~ I look forward to your return and second installment.

Parsnip ~ not only was there books and ice-cream in the tents, but writers happy to talk about their work, and rather good cake! But, alas, not all of Scotland is like that – not all the time anyway.

The background church is Melrose Abbey.

Kanani said...

Looks like you had a really great time. Sounds like you were with some great people, as well!

Coffee with Cathy said...

Oh, I love the portaloos! I so wish they were standard supply at the festivals around here.

Mary Witzl said...

Last year, I would have thought this was warm, Eryl! Right now, I just feel relieved that it's as cool as it is.

Please drop by some time when you have the chance -- we're here until the next semester starts!

Eryl Shields said...

Kanani ~ I did and I was, I even met a couple of heroes who didn't disappoint.

Cathy ~ they are the best portaloos I've ever seen and they have made me determined to sort out my bathroom this year, it's nowhere near as nice!

Mary ~ I'll bet, I've been watching as the temperature has been rising in your area and wondering how you were coping.

I'll be by before the week is over, mark my words!

debra said...

How have I missed your posts? I feel like I am drowning in the busy-ness of life. So much so that I did not see the beauty of the porta-potty :-)