Diehards

Sunday, 26 July 2009

Bat Pits

Last night we went to see Harry Potter. As we were getting ready to go I took a jacket from the overfull row of hooks in the hall and put it on. As I moved it made a noise as if one of it's many zips was flapping. I decided to have a quick pee before leaving and as I sat on the loo it made the noise again: odd. I sat stock still and the noise continued for a few seconds, then stopped. As I washed my hands it started up again. This irritated me somewhat, I hadn't noticed this jacket making noises before. In the hall the noise continued, it sounded like a factory full of zips being tortured by magnets. Deciding it wasn't right I began to take the jacket off examining it as I did so. With it off on my left side but still on on my right I looked at the pockets and cuffs and jiggled them slightly: 'what on earth are you doing?' Bob asked me. I told him about the noise: he listened as I gave the jacket a shake, 'it's just a zip,' he said.

I made to put the jacket back on and the noise started up wildly. Bob frowned, 'take it off,' he said. I took it off and handed it to him, he turned it around, examining the zips and fastenings. Stevie, who by now had joined us, pointed at the studs on the collar, 'it's those,' he said. Bob gave it a shake. Metal flapped and scraped against metal: 'it's the zips!'

'OK. It's just that... it doesn't usually make such a noise.'

He peered inside. 'It must be the... oh not it's not,' he said, 'it's a bat!'

I had been worrying a little brown bat that had taken up residence in the oxter of my jacket! Bob made for the garden and once outside gently laid the jacket, replete with bat, on a chair. The poor thing was quivering so I took a quick snap and we let it alone.




I had to wear a different jacket to the cinema.

When we got back the bat was gone. I hope he/she enjoyed feasting on the bugs that fill the air of an evening around here, and has now found somewhere to sleep where he/she won't be disturbed by my armpits again.

18 comments:

savannah said...

how calm y'all are, sugar! i would have been hoppin around like corn kernel in a popcorn machine! xoxox

Kim Ayres said...

Oh, I think Maggie's just fainted...

Titus said...

Oooh, that's a complete and utter horror story for me. I agree with savannah, how on earth did you manage to stay that calm? I'm actually squirming here. And I'll be checking my armpits all night.

Yes yes on the Waugh photographs please. I have a poem now and seeing more will help me gauge it.

angryparsnip said...

Oh gosh. . . I am always shaking out my clothes here in Tucson because you can be very surprised by what could be hiding but I would never think Bat. . . he is very cute though. . .

Did you like the movie ? going to see it this week.

Eryl Shields said...

Savannah ~ I really did think it was my zips and fastenings, though I did think it rather spooky for them to make such a noise! By the time I knew it was a bat it was out of my hands, XXX

Kim ~ Maggie, are you sure?

Titus ~ really, but bats are so cute, and he, poor bugger, was much more scared than me; can you imagine being all cosy and then being squished by someone faffing about on the loo?

Photos on the way, probably in batches.

Parsnip ~ I'd rather not imagine what you could find in your clothes, at least we have nothing deadly in Scotland!

Loved the movie (the trio are so grown up now!), though I didn't think this director did quite such a good job as the last: I didn't cry, and I should have given the ending.

PI said...

I was sure it was going to be a bee.
It looks a hell of a big one. the ones I've see have always been tiny and I didn't know they were furry.
Harry Potter must have seemed small fry after that

Eryl Shields said...

It was probably about two inches, I don't know the average size of a bat!

Scarlet-Blue said...

That is so cute! I quite like bats, I like watching them in the early evening.
I don't think I want to keep one in my clothing though.
Sx

The World According To Me said...

I think I would have freaked out slightly. It's not every day you find a bat in your jacket.
Maybe he wanted to watch Harry P with you?

Eryl Shields said...

Scarlet ~ it is isn't it? Rather like a mouse with leather accessories! I will check all my jackets from now on, X

Nikki ~ I think if I realised it was there while I was still wearing it I might have freaked out a little too. He would probably have liked Harry P.

debra said...

I KNOW that bats eat something like 10,000 mosquitoes each nights, and I am thankful for that. If one were in my pocket, I believe I would react strongly.

Mary Witzl said...

Oh, how CUUUTE! I have a thing about bats: I could stand and watch a bunch of bats for hours on end. They're rodent-like and furry -- and they can actually fly, which is so cool. And as Debra says, they just about eat their weight in midges and mosquitoes, so what's not to like?

If I found one in my pocket, though, my first reaction would be to yelp. But look at those tiny feet and folded wings: cuuute!

Eryl Shields said...

Debra ~ they do and I love them for it, which is why I was able to keep calm. If it had been a rat...

Mary ~ incredibly cute, isn't it? I love watching them too, we once had one flying round our sitting room and it flew in a prefect rectangle until we opened the window wide enough for it to fly out.

Rachel Fox said...

Hello. Great story.

Crafty Green Poet said...

oh how adorable, I love bats though it would be a surprise to find one like that...

Raph G. Neckmann said...

I love bats! I'm surprised there was one in your pocket - doesn't seem the sort of place they'd go! I'd have been worrying all evening that it might've been hurt!

Brother Tobias said...

In choosing a roost bats require very specific conditions of temperature and humidity. Your oxter clearly supplies the ideal environment, and as a bat roosting place now falls under the protection of the European Habitats Directive. It may even be eligible for a grant.

Eryl Shields said...

Rachel ~ Hello, and thank you.

Crafty Green Poet ~ it was rather!

Raph ~ I did worry and was relieved on getting home to find it had flown off. It wasn't quitein my pocket, more under the arm-pit of my jacket.

Brother Tobias ~ I have half a mind to apply!