Diehards

Friday, 22 May 2009

Family Matters

I have one brother and two sisters. Both sisters have husbands and one also has two young children. They are my entire family now our parents are both dead. And, they are all (+1) coming for their holidays to my town tomorrow for a week. Luckily the sister who organised the whole trip is sensible enough to realise our little house can't cope with so many people, so they have rented a holiday house about two seconds walk from here. It should be great, we don't see enough of each other and we all get on really well.

Today I cleaned the house from top to bottom just in case one or more of them decides to pop in, but mostly I will be walking round to them, hopefully. Not because I don't want my family in my house but because the minute I have guests I go into hostess mode and get all stressy about making sure everyone has what they want: drink? are you hungry, let me fix you something? Either that or I have too much to drink and forget people need to eat at all. A rental house levels the playing field as no one feels any responsibility for any one else.

The last time we all got together for any length of time was Christmas 2006. We rented a large house on the coast and all pitched in to make it the best Christmas ever, and it was. I'm looking forward to seeing them immensely, but I know for a week I won't get any work done and, I won't get any blogging done. I will mostly be being fed by my sister and drinking wine and chatting in that way you do only with the people you grew up with.

So, I'll see you in a week or so.

PS I looked for a photograph of all of us together for this post but couldn't find one, I'll try and get one over the course of the week.

11 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

I would suggest you could occupy them by dragging them around Spring Fling, and order and pick up a cake from Rogan, but I know when families turn up all plans fall apart.

Hope you have a great time with them and I look forward to seeing the photos :)

savannah said...

that's sounds so lovely, sugar! smart sister you have there, too! ;) xoxoxo

have a wonderful time!

PI said...

Family get-togethers provide great writing material - as a rule. I hope it all goes well and I do understand the stress re being Mrs Perfect. I have leaned to control it with the family but not with other than family. Hope you can get some photos

Scarlet-Blue said...

Have a brilliant week! I do the stressy thing too.
Sx

Eryl Shields said...

Kim ~ I had planned to take them round Spring Fling, but already those plans have disintegrated. And they haven't even arrived yet!

Savannah ~ she is very smart and practical, quite the opposite of me. I will have a marvellous time, I know it,XXX

Pat ~ I'll keep a note book handy at all times! And my camera.

Scarlet ~ I will, thanks. What is it about us women, my husband would happily invite people round when we have no food and stains on the couch?

The World According To Me said...

Enjoy your week with your family. The holiday home was a good idea all round.
I hope to see pictures and hear stories soon.

debra said...

How could I have missed this post?!?
I hope you had a good visit.

Kanani said...

I can't wait to see the photos and a recap of all what happened. I'm sure you had a good time. I agree that renting a house is the best thing --I find houseguests extremely stressful, even if they're the nicest people around!

Mary Witzl said...

What an idiot I am: I just commented on this post in the Comments section on the post below... sheesh... Still, I hope you have fun -- consider yourself twice told!

angryparsnip said...

Sounds like FUN ! can't wait to read all about it, pictures too. You will have a great time !

I have started my Blog and unlike you and all the great writers I read because I followed Kanani over... my blog is Photos and short very short captions ! A writer I am not. . .

twosquaredogs.blogspot.com

Eryl Shields said...

Hello all and thanks for your good wishes, they've gone and it was great, my pictures came out a bit rubbish though!

The weather is too good to stay inside today – unheard of in these parts! – so I'll be back to report once the sun goes down, X