Diehards

Thursday, 22 January 2009

Synthesis

Two years ago on this date I tentatively, and with no knowledge of what it might entail, began this blog. I thus entered the sometimes peculiar, often delightful, always educational, cyber world. Apparently most blogs begun don’t make it to two years, but the ones that do are likely to keep going. So, I guess I’m here to stay until contingency whips me off elsewhere. And now that I can consider my ponderings permanent I thought I ought to do something to mark it. And what seems in order is a kind of series. An occasional, possibly random, series that will have an end. And I have just the thing:

Here is a picture of my favourite chair:


I love this chair. I bought it at a provincial auction years ago and paid much more for it than I intended, but it was worth it. I recently requisitioned it from the sitting room and now it's where I sit and read. It is so comfy. But it has gradually dawned on me that it gives me much more than I give it. There is a terrible imbalance in our relationship and I have been taking advantage. My poor chair has been suffering for too long, and instead of doing something about its obvious signs of distress



I have merely covered them up. It’s not that I haven’t wanted to do something, it’s just that I can’t afford to get it reupholstered and nor can I do such a job myself, I’m a crap seamstress. So it's more that I didn't know how to deal with the situation. But the other evening, as the horse hair was poking through the blankets and scratching my arms, an idea struck me: I could crochet a bunch of squares and just join them together in situ. This way I wouldn’t have to cut great swathes of fabric, nor would I have to be terribly accurate because wool stretches. I could do the whole thing by look and feel. Rather excited by having a practical project again, as well as the prospect of giving something back to the hard done by old chair, I hunted out some old balls of wool and a suitable hook, and began immediately.


This is, no doubt, going to take a long time. It takes roughly half an hour to make each square, I’ll try and do at least one a day, but it will depend on two factors: having enough time and having enough wool, and as neither of these factors will always be within the bounds of my control, I can't guarantee that will happen. I reckon I'll need about two hundred squares, so the whole project, from start to finish, is likely to take upwards of six months.

Which means this will be a sort of watching paint dry series: every now and again I’ll let you know how I’m getting on and may even treat you to a picture of the pile of coloured woollen squares I’ve accrued. Then at the end there’ll be a flurry of activity as I stuff the arms with wadding and attempt to secure it with patches of sacking, join the squares together, and finally squeeze the chair into its brand new cover. I think I’ll have to have an unveiling ceremony at the end, to which you will all be invited. I bet you can’t wait, can you?

23 comments:

savannah said...

what a fantastic idea, sugar! i want to send some wool to help since i can't knit or crochet! whatdyathink?
xoxoxo

savannah said...

*duh* what was i thinking, sugar????

CONGRATULATIONS on year 2! i wish you all the best! i am honored!
xoxox

Eryl Shields said...

Wool from the plantation, how could I decline?

debra said...

happy 2nd year to you Eryl! Mine is in April, i think. You could
ask people to send you yarn or even to send you already crocheted squares. Then you could have an international chair cover! I would gladly send you wool, since I am not known for sewing, knitting or crocheting.

Kim Ayres said...

Happy 2nd anniversary Eryl!!!

Maybe you should get a post office box number and get people from around the world to send you knitted squares :)

The Dotterel said...

Two years! Sounds a lot when your own blog isn't even one yet - congratulations!

Jane Dearie said...

Happy Birthday TKBP blog! A glass to be raised me thinks. Here's to at least another two years of your very entertaining blog .....then you'll be double the whatever .....I'm not good at maths!
Lovely idea, will have to get thinking on how to help with that one.
Soft squares of love, Jane xxx

scarlet-blue said...

Congratulations on being 2!
The chair does look lovely and squashy. I tend to chuck throws over my furniture... and don't often dare to look underneath!
Sx

Conan Drumm said...

Now You Are Two!!

Well done, Eryl. Looking forward to the patchwork chair in progress.

Eryl Shields said...

Debra ~ an international chair cover sounds just too enticing, I could call it the bloggers chair, or some such thing. Actually, I could get everyone to suggest a name too.

Kim ~ a post office box? Mmm, I've never had one of those before, it would make me feel quite important!

The Dotterel ~ Hello! And thanks. I remember feeling exactly that, and when I heard that most blogs die before two years I was in trepidation that mine would too. But you make friends and don't want to give them up so you keep on at it.

Jane ~ I hope it is even just a little entertaining, so thanks. My cup of tea is raised as I type! Wool tangles of love, X

Scarlet ~ it is a very squashy chair, it can take some effort to get out of it some evenings.

Eryl Shields said...

Conan ~ missed you there! I think it could be quite a challenge to write interestingly about it, part of my training.

debra said...

And then it could be endowed--like a chair at a University---TKBPBloggers' Chair...
so what size are those squares? looks like maybe 4" x 4" (don't know the conversion)

savannah said...

my email address on my site! ;) tell me colour and weight and it's yours! xoxo

Eryl Shields said...

Debra ~ that's a pretty good guess, they're 13 centimeters which is 5 and a quarter inches.

Savannah ~ the more colours the merrier! One of the reasons I learned how to crochet was that I love those old blankets made from remnants. The weight is, what we call, double-knitting does that make sense to you? I'll email you my address, this is exciting!

PI said...

Congrats! So many of us started i January (I've just done 3:))
The chair will be a great achievement. There are always throws but if you are like MTL you only have to look at a throw and it's draping the floor.
I would have sewn the squares straight on to the chair - which is a stupid idea.

The World According To Me said...

Happy 2nd blog birthday!

I would love to have a nose at those books on your shelves. Other people's book shelves intrigue me.

Cracking good idea for your chair. Keep us updated with progress pictures!

Carole said...

Nice. I've never fallen in love with a piece of furniture so I cannot feel your pain. I cannot crochet so I cannot help you, but I will look forward to seeing the pictures in 6 months.

Congrats on your two year anniversary.

Eryl Shields said...

Pat ~ I always like throws in other people's houses, but in mine they just feel too untidy. This is probably because my house is so cluttered and they just take it over the edge.

There's something Tracey Emin about the idea of sewing the squares straight onto the chair.

Worldie ~ I bet you check inside people's bathroom cabinets too when you get the chance.

Carole ~ You obviously haven't found 'the one' yet!

angryparsnip said...

Eryl,

I read you over at Get Lost With Easy Writer... I'm enjoying your blog along with PI's
I want your squishy comfortable chair and reading nook ! Your coffee doesn't look bad either. . .

Love your new picture.

Cheers, parsnip

Mary Witzl said...

I sympathize: a comfortable chair is worth a lot in my book, and I too would want to do this on the cheap. Those colors you've picked are all warm and homey.

Now that you've mentioned it, I started my blog two years ago in January too! I think we may share a birthday... Yours was one of the first blogs I found, after Kim showed me how to set my blog up; I was so thrilled when you came and visited me. Happy blogging birthday, Eryl!

Eryl Shields said...

Parsnip ~ I read your comments on easy writer too and always enjoy them, I couldn't find a blog to visit you on though. I love your green telephone!

If you ever come to Scotland you can come and visit and sit in my chair, hopefully it will be recovered by then, and I will make you a cup of coffee.

Mary ~ Happy blogging birthday to you too! I still find it thrilling that people actually come and visit me, and am very glad indeed that you have kept up your blog for all this time, even though you have moved countries in the meanwhile.

angryparsnip said...

Thanks, I haven't been to Scotland for a while and would love to go back. With a son in Japan I seem to visit there more.

Love the Japanese Green Phone, my son is looking into getting one for me.

No blog yet but I hope soon! until then I just keep reading yours !

Eryl Shields said...

I should have known that phone was Japanese, I've never been but would love to because of just that sort of thing. Oh, and the food.