Diehards

Monday, 5 January 2009

Christmas no More



After all that anticipation and excitement, planning, shopping, decorating and cooking; thank you, you too and the joy of a fridge full of well it has to be eatens; the holiday is over. This morning my alarm went off at 7:15 and for a good few seconds I couldn't imagine why. All number of explanations – it's a terrible dream, it's broken, the demon has come – flashed through me before I realised the ghastly truth: I had to take Bob to work.

It took forty five minutes of snooze button pressing before I managed to garner enough oomph to stagger out of bed, pull on some clothes (cold jeans, eugh!), and fill the kettle. Tea, a fag, and the fan heater that lives under my desk seemed snatched away as eight-thirty came, and outside had to be faced.

Bob safely delivered I headed home and as I drove thoughts, like caffeine fuelled kids, of must-dos fought for attention: search the house for that old book of Winnie the Pooh stories; complete proposal form for university's ethics committee; write article for the student rag; compose begging letter to 'registry' about lack of fee paying ability; speak to school about those bloody February classes (I've been trying to do this for weeks, though not, it has to be said, with any force); deChristmas the house

(chuck tree out the window, take down cards, put away baubles, vacuum up glitter), and search freezer for something to feed the boys tonight. Write something.

Writing, like exercise, is something I need to do for general health purposes, but I just can't seem to work it in. Mind and matter are getting flabby. And the flabbier they get the more difficult it is to use them. All I really want to do is lie on the couch in front of the fire and read. But I can't. Why?

Will someone please remind me?

17 comments:

scarlet-blue said...

Apologies, I can't remind you, my brain is a flaccid, flabby blob, also in need of a proper work out.
Why is it that the fairy lights never fit back in the box they came out of?
Sx

Kim Ayres said...

Because Eryl in a Pre-xmas Narrative set you up a whole way of being for post xmas and the direction for the rest of your life (or at least the next few months). It's her you need to track down and have a conversation with.

I'm currently trying to track down the Kim that thought getting out of bed this morning was a good idea. Haven't found the bastard yet. And I still haven't by midnight, I'm just going straight back to it.

PI said...

The irony is that when you reach the stage that most days you could stay in bed all day it you pleased - at least have a lie in - the desire is no longer there. It's up and at 'em most days of the week. I don't know if that is any comfort to you but I do feel for you:)
I have a lovely picture of you tossing the tree in the garden. What a great idea. A very Eryl idea.

Eryl Shields said...

Scarlet ~ my own thoughts have generally been, regarding fairy lights and boxes, that fairies are little bastards and they use their magic powers to make the box shrink once the lights are out.

Kim ~ Fear and Loathing in Dumfries and Galloway, if I ever get my hands on that bitch!

Pat ~ I have heard it said that the older one gets the less sleep one needs; so far I haven't found that to be the case. I quite look forward to it though, up and at 'em you say?

The World According To Me said...

It's nice to have nose in your house.

I am a huge fan of lieing on the couch and reading, but life seems to be getting in the way again!

Conan Drumm said...

Time of year for reading and general sloth. But you've written a blog post so that's a start.

Eryl Shields said...

World ~ did you notice the iron mark on the carpet where I tried to remove candle wax and melted it? I hate the carpet anyway and have been meaning to change it for twelve years, since we looked at the house in fact, and the fireplace that has to go to, one day.

Conan ~ That's true! I feel much better now.

Coffee with Cathy said...

Love the cards on the chandelier! That's a super idea that I'm going to steal for next Christmas. Thanks!

savannah said...

it's just january, sugar...pace yourself! ;) xoxxo

(i'm with cathy re your chandelier! nice touch!!)

Eryl Shields said...

Cathy ~ Hello and thanks for your visit. I would love to claim the card/chandelier combo for my own, but in truth I adapted it from something I saw in Barney's that uber fab NY store.

Savannah ~ I know you're right but for some reason I feel like I ought to be doing things! XXXXX

Kanani said...

Ah, my brain has gone to rot as of late. As I'm perusing the jobs, or thinking of all the stuff that needs to be done, or stretching the money to pay the bills, I really become unmotivated to write.

Anyway, I've found something positively lethal to writing: watching The Sopranos. Horribly violent, but damn... engaging, nonetheless.

The World According To Me said...

Hi Eryl

I didn't but I think I do now!

So you've been meaning to change it for 11 years? Hey, these things take time!

Eryl Shields said...

Kanani~ I've been meaning to take a look at the Sopranos but now I know not to!

World ~ They say you should never point out your shortcomings because then you ensure they are noticed!

Mary Witzl said...

The best advice I can give you is to just grit your teeth and do what you did when you made yourself get up and put on stone-cold jeans (I hate having to do that too): make yourself do it -- tell yourself it's the only option. Once you've established it as part of your routine, you just do, like it or not. You never even think about whether you want to do it or not.

Eryl Shields said...

Mary ~ Now that is good, solid, practical advice. The kind of advice I give my students, yet the kind of advice I really struggle to take! But routine is the answer isn't it?

PI said...

Eryl: don't deprive yourself of the Sopranos. Apart from falling for Tony and his quite hairy hands on the steering wheel - it's the only programme I remember holding my breath till the end when I emit a long sigh and can't believe it is over so soon.
The opening shots and music are in themselves worth the license fee.

Eryl Shields said...

Pat, once I've managed to get to grips with my workload I promise to give the Sopranos a look. I'm currently already addicted to Lost, Heroes and Prison Break!