Diehards

Friday, 16 January 2009

The Agony and the Ecstacy

Did you know that if you bake Nutella it goes fudgy? I didn't, but I'm always looking for new ways to use it and so with a scant amount of pastry left over from making a pie I made these





there wasn't quite enough Nutella in the jar to fill all the tart cases as much as I would have liked, so I topped some of them with a square of dark chocolate. Those were the best ones. A clear case of not having what you (think you) want acting to your advantage.

I have heard that chillie stimulates both pain and pleasure receptors at once. The first time I made this*




which is very hot indeed, I saw all the evidence I needed to convince me of the veracity of that clam: Bob agonised over every mouthful but couldn't stop eating it. Since then I've been making it only a few times a year as a kind of sado-masochistic treat, always telling the boys my plan just in case they feel they can't cope with it. This time, though, I had the foresight to leave the Vietnamese dipping sauce/dressing – the source of the pain – in the jug so that they could add as much or little as they wished. Why I hadn't thought of that before, I have no idea.


* You'll find the recipe in Nigella Lawson's book Forever Summer, but the gist of it is: cook some black rice and some tiger prawns, leave them to cool down, mix them together then pour over some Vietnamese dipping sauce which is nothing more than two tablespoons of lime juice, four of fish sauce (Nam Pla), four of water, two of sugar, two cloves of garlic and two finely chopped birds-eye chillies stirred together in a small jug or bowl.

13 comments:

scarlet-blue said...

A sado-masochistic treat eh? A bit like wearing a corset with really ill fitting yet sexy shoes...?
Sx

Eryl Shields said...

Or a pair of shoes with a really ill fitting, yet sexy, corset. Not that I know about such things, but I have heard...

debra said...

The chocolate/nutella thing sounds good. How long did you bake it? Until the crust was done?

Kim Ayres said...

Too late, I've dribbled on my laptop...

Jane Dearie said...

The reet 'tough' looking woman on the blog header and now the SM Nutella choccie pies! Should we worry about you being a hard woman or are you preparing for your placement?!
Jane xxxxx
P.S. do you make a g-f version of this?!

Eryl Shields said...

Bastard blogger swallowed my comments.
But they were something like:

Debra ~ It was very good, and yes you've got it.

Kim ~ How many keyboards have you ruined that way?

Jane ~ Are you saying I don't look tough in the flesh? If Nutella is g-f then I reckon that's a challenge!

HoodChick said...

Oh great. After an evening of debauchery (draft beer, fried food and jello shots - but they don't really count do they?) you post chocolate. And dark chocolate. You are evil evil evil...

Eryl Shields said...

So you don't want my dark chocolate and rum Pannacotta recipe right now then?

Conan Drumm said...

Unlike Kim I remain continent, but it was a close call. I have chocolate issues.

Eryl Shields said...

I'm glad you managed to maintain your dignity Conan, and agree it's not always easy when chocolate is around.

Mary Witzl said...

I want that chili AND the chocolate tarts! I've got a huge jar of Nutella and a giant bottle of nam pla, so all I have to do is get rid of some of my lethargy...

The World According To Me said...

I like that plate!

Pleasure and pain, I guess it's part of life!

Eryl Shields said...

Mary ~ if you can buy ready to use filo pastry over there, which I'm sure you must be able to, you could make fantastic Nutella rolls without the slightest hassle.

Worldie ~ it is, in fact if I ever decide to write my memoirs I could do worse than to call them 'The Chili Years'