Diehards

Wednesday, 2 July 2008

There's no such thing as a finished kitchen, only and abandoned one



So, I moved a cupboard out of the kitchen and was so pleased with the newly spacious look and feel I took a photograph. But in the photograph the room looked, not bright and roomy, it looked dingy a little sordid even. And I realised I hadn't decorated for almost twelve years. 'A lick of paint is what it needs,' I thought and some nice green shelves. But...




As I emptied the kitchen of all its gubbins: pictures, blackboard, saucepans hanging from hooks, more flaws began to assert themselves. I had strategically placed all sorts of objects in order to hide such things as enormous blue plastic rawl-plugs and even the hole you see above. A large wooden chopping board stood guard there, I never used it, felt I couldn't use, even though I couldn't quite remember why. The boards I did use stood in front of it. I liked my stack of different woods there, thought they gave an air of a proper working kitchen.





For the last two days I have been filling such holes in with plaster, I'm no expert, what would take a professional seconds takes me hours. During these hours I have time to look around and contemplate the space and this morning I woke up knowing that this quick fix wasn't going to be enough. Today the real work begins...

12 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

But what was in that gap, Eryl? Was it the long lost Moffat Shroud?

Mary Witzl said...

We've got a couple of gaps like that! I'm going to leave them for the time being. The cat thinks they're just fascinating.

Eryl Shields said...

Kim ~ no it was my better judgment, it's rather crushed but I'm hoping now I've rescued it I can revive it.

Mary ~ I'm with your cat, I've always rather liked the crumbling look, it reminds me of Venice. But it's time for me to move on.

Conan Drumm said...

Any of these holes useful, before you fill 'em? Need extra elec sockets, light fittings... that kind of thing?

Eryl Shields said...

You're so practical and sensible Conan! I've filled them all now without thinking about anything like that. But luckily I have more elec sockets and lights than I use.

Carole said...

Wow, what a job. It will look positively new when you are done. And in about ten years you will want to do it all again. Sigh.

Eryl Shields said...

I really hope, Carole, that in ten years time I can afford to pay someone to do it for me.

debra said...

Good luck, Eryl. I know how it is when one job lead to another, and another and another and another ad nauseum :-)

PI said...

Eryl my admiration is boundless.

Eryl Shields said...

Debra ~ doesn't it just!

Pat ~ Ooh, thank you!

Kanani said...

Go Eryl Go! Go Eryl Go!
Hurrah!!!!
She's winning!

Eryl Shields said...

Kanani ~ do you think?