Diehards

Monday, 30 June 2008

Toad


Look what I saw on Sunday morning!

But now I'm back to reality. Today Bob and I emptied the kitchen, crikey I hoard a lot of crap, it took forever to get it all out. There were umpteen slimy pictures on the walls, a 'decorative' carpet beater and other crap hanging from hooks, odd things made by children that aren't even my own stuck up wherever there was a space for them, we eventually found homes for it all, a good one was the bin. Then we removed various redundant rawl plugs from the walls and filled the holes in with plaster. Stripping off the wallpaper created even more, some huge, holes so we filled them in. It's amazing what you can do with a butter knife and a bucket. The kitchen now looks like a sordid hole, as if the former occupants died and no one has dared enter for years.

My room has a pile of cookery books on the table and a bowl of fruit on the couch. I wouldn't make my worst enemy spend any time in the sitting room.

I live in hope, they say it gets worse before it gets better, and I'm sure whoever they are they know what they are talking about. Tomorrow we will paint the walls and then I will tackle the floor before, hopefully by the end of the week, getting the shelves up and turning it back into a working kitchen again.

In the meantime I will have to remember not to answer the door.

13 comments:

PI said...

I bet it''s all going to be lovely. Jettisoning stuff is life enhancing. I'll be relieved when the rubbish has been collected today as unbeknownst to MTL I have jettisoned some of the contents of his wardrobe. and believe me it's rubbish - not reclaimable. Mo self respecting tramp would be seen dead...

Conan Drumm said...

Pictures of the devastation, please, so you can show us before and after!

Eryl Shields said...

Pat ~ I do hope so. The thing is I thought it looked fine before, then I took some pictures of it and realized it looked really ghastly!

I'm always throwing away clothes of Stevie, sometimes brand new stuff that I couldn't possibly seen with him in. They couldn't go to Oxfam as some other poor wife would have to get rid of them too!

Conan ~ I didn't think to take any pictures of the holes, but I will post some pictures of my handy work, and how it looked, in general, before.

Kim Ayres said...

Given your love of discussing the universe in your kitchen with a bottle of wine, are you going to paint one wall in blackboard paint for when the debates require diagrams?

Eryl Shields said...

I am seriously thinking about it Kim, seriously thinking about it.

Mary Witzl said...

You've seen our wallpaper and rawl plug problems, so I don't need to tell you that I know what you're going through. The good thing is, when the condition of your kitchen is really bad, once it gets better you're so relieved that it doesn't even have to be that much better to please you. If that makes any sense whatsoever...

Mary Witzl said...

Oh -- cute frog! I wish I had more frogs. They eat slugs.

Eryl Shields said...

Mary ~ I can honestly say I didn't notice any wallpaper and rawl plug problems in your house. But then I didn't notice them in my own and they've been here even longer than I have...

Carole said...

A working kitchen? I want one of those. I have to do all the work in mine, it just sits there.

Carole said...

A working kitchen? I want one of those. I have to do all the work in mine, it just sits there.

Eryl Shields said...

Ha! I'm dreaming again aren't I?

debra said...

Where have I been??? I've missed all this! Our house is really old--1830's or 40's---we're going to redo the bathroom. I don't even WANT to know what's behind those walls!

Eryl Shields said...

Debra ~ ours is 1840, and I have found it is best not to look too hard.