Diehards

Friday, 27 June 2008

Out With the Old

Today it is raining again. It was lovely and sunny when I got up so I stripped the bed. By the time the machine had done its bit the rain had come on and now there are sheets all over the radiators and it is hot and steamy in here. The life of a housewife can be so trying.

Now I'm going to clean out the old shoe cupboard, which since the shoes were removed from it, has been stuffed full of junk: manuals for long since defunct electrical goods, wall-paper paste, old boxes that seemed too good to throw away. But I could do with the space for table linen and napkins now, so it's time to deal with it. I quite like a bit of a clear-out. The other day I emptied the old wash-stand in the bathroom, moved it to the hall, then emptied the free-standing cupboard in the kitchen - which began life as a bookcase in an educational establishment - and put that in the bathroom and refilled it with towels and unguents. The wash-stand will go to New Zealand with my friend Mark, it came to me by way of my in-law's shed where it had been languishing for some time, and fulfilled a very useful role with us for years. But now it no longer works for us, it takes up too much space and holds bugger all. So Mark has offered to take it off my hands.

Both rooms look so much better now: the old book-case has swallowed up all the bathroom stuff, and without it the kitchen seems to have doubled in size, so I'm inspired to keep going. Next week I will paint the kitchen before Bob puts up some shelves to house the stuff that came out of the cupboard. The kitchen hasn't been painted for almost twelve years, when I painted it white until I could decide on something more suitable. Now it's time to add a bit of colour I reckon so I have decided on Ikea's green 'Lack' shelves and a cool blue-grey for the walls. Not sure about the floor yet, perhaps a darker grey.

Tomorrow I'll drag Stevie paint shopping. But for now I'll content myself with transforming the old shoe cupboard.

10 comments:

Mary Witzl said...

As I read this, my heart sank: I too got fooled by that early morning sunshine and hung out a ton of laundry. It's still out there on the clothesline. Hope it's sunny tomorrow. No way I'm going out there in the dark to haul in a bunch of wet stuff...

And here I am envying your old washstand -- getting a trip to New Zealand and a whole new life!

Kim Ayres said...

Before and after photos are a must!

Dr Maroon said...

Ayres, I swear to God you are turning gay before my eyes. Stop taking those effing pills and have the water board check your supply for oestrogen. Do it now!

Until then, drink only guinness and whisky. Try sitting about the house in your underwear for a few days, or better yet get out of that gated expat comunity you live in and mix with some working class locals!

debra said...

We had the same weather here across the Pond yesterday!. I also hung out laundry in the morning, thinking the sun and the breeze would do a good job on it. Rain water soft became the reality of the day! More rain is predicted for the next 3 or 4 days.
I'm also looking at paint--but for the bathroom. We painted one room a deep red last year and I love it (it's called dried tomato)
Pictures WOULD be great!

Eryl Shields said...

Mary ~ I envy the old wash stand too, in fact I'm hoping, as it's lived with me so long, that a little bit of me is going with it.

Kim ~ Before, after and in-between photos will be coming.

Doc ~ You know you want them too!

Debra ~ My bathroom is a kind of tomato red and I love it.

Conan Drumm said...

Just finished building the cupboards that go under the loffice. Next step is the shelves on the other side of the room... then a zillion books come out of storage... then shed space gets freed up for fuel...

Eryl Shields said...

Getting your books out of storage and onto shelves will be a day for celebration. Let me know when you get the last one placed and I'll have a wee dram in deference.

PI said...

If your old shoe cupboard is anything like the one I inherited 28 years ago I recommend a good scrub and pot pourri:)

Carole said...

My absolute favorite thing is throwing out stuff and clearing cupboards. It feels quite refreshing.

Eryl Shields said...

I love it until I find I need just the thing I threw out. I still miss my green suede court shoes and I threw them out ten years ago. I've now given away the plate rack that we had made and has held our plates for fifteen years, it feels great at the moment.