Diehards

Tuesday, 27 May 2008

Just to say...

As it's Tuesday, and I try to make a post on a Tuesday, and I didn't manage it last week, and I still haven't written up the next instalment of the Camper-van tales, I thought I'd better just say hello.

It was Spring-Fling this weekend, that is the event in this area that sees over 70 artist's studios open to the public. This is a large, remote region so you can travel for miles and still not get round a fraction of the studios. I usually pick out a few that look interesting in the brochure and take in any others that are near at the same time. This year, however, I didn't have to do that because two friends were exhibiting and so we built our itinerary around them. On Saturday we went to see Maggie Ayres (Kim's wife) and Rogan Ayres of cake baking fame. Maggie's work was gorgeous, I only wish I'd had some cash (not to mention space) to buy something. Luckily Rogan's wares were a bit more affordable so we bought scones (with rather sinful chocolate chunks in them) and biscuits, all of which were so delicious we didn't need to find even a temporary space for them. We'd have bought more but he'd sold out of cake by the time we got there, which wasn't particularly late.

On Sunday we went to see Liz who is a sculptor, and a very fine one indeed. Again, I couldn't afford a bronze but I did take this photo of her garden wall. Wouldn't you just die for a wall like this?

14 comments:

debra said...

We have a Spring Stroll in the Village of Peninsula. Sounds somewhat like your Spring Fling --- without the glorious cakes.

Thank you so much for posting these links. The cakes are beautiful, Maggie's work in luminous, and Liz's sculpture and prints are amazing.
I am smiling...

Carole said...

The wall is wonderful. Absolutely splendid.

Fun stuff. St. Louis needs something like this.

Kim Ayres said...

There are some fantastic sculptures there. I'll have to find my way out next year, if not before.

Eryl Shields said...

Debra ~ Spring Stroll sounds somewhat more refined than Spring Fling. Glad you like the links, I see I didn't actually link to Maggie's site, I always miss something!

Carole ~ It makes me want to build a wall in my garden, I only have fences.

You could always start something like it yourself! Do you know any artists? My sister in law started one in her home-town, it's gone from just a few open studios to masses in a few years and she now does a Christmas one too. Hard work though.

Kim ~ I don't think Liz is taking part next year, but she is going to open her studio by appointment soon.

Conan Drumm said...

Lots of stone walls hereabouts too, but more bouldery.

Eryl Shields said...

Ah, Conan d, I can't access your blog any more, have you gone private?

Conan Drumm said...

Nope, just trying to de-louse a lurker who was emailing me. Normal service will resume soon.

Kanani said...

Yes, I would LOVE a wall like this! Beautiful. I'd have those all around my garden, plus inside the house as well. Glad you got to sample Rogan's offerings, and also see Maggie's great art.
I think you're so lucky living in such a scenic place. All that green... gorgeous!

Eryl Shields said...

Conan ~ Yikes! have you had to change your email too?

Kanani ~ The green of the place is splendid. I tend to head for the city when I leave my house (for a mega-dose of human contact), but whenever I go into the depths of the countryside I'm always rather taken aback by how lovely it is.

problemchildbride said...

Is that a baboon prowling about on a Scottish garden fence?

Fantastic!

PI said...

What a lovely way to spend a day culture, beauty and lovely grub. It all happens north of the border.

Eryl Shields said...

Sam ~ We have it all here these days!

Pat ~ But for only one weekend.

Mary Witzl said...

I LOVE that wall! There is a place a little like that in Kipford, with all sorts of amazing, whimsical sculptures.

And I felt the same about Maggie's art. Wish I had the wherewithal to buy a few things.

Anonymous said...

I've only just found this post as I update on your past blog posts, by accident actually. I always was a backward child, a slow developer perhaps? Your photo of her wall looks amazing when seen from another perspective.
Liz thankfully changed her mind and just heard that she has been selected to take part in Spring Fling 2009 ....aged 80 by then!
She's amazing, but then I think those of us who are lucky enough to know her all realise that anyway.
Lol, Ony xxx