Diehards

Friday, 9 May 2008

Hello again

The sun has been shining for three days. Three whole days, that's unheard of in these parts. So I have spent three whole days doing nothing but garden fire-fighting: weeding, and digging up all the dead plants. Now I have an awful lot of space to fill and I'm going to try to fill it with things that won't die this time. I'd really like to have a garden in which things just come up year after year, but I have a garden that kills plants. The only things that survive do so because they are in pots. I don't know what I do wrong when it comes to planting things in the ground but the only thing that thrives in my soil is ground elder. I can't even grow dandelions, and I would love to be able to as the tortoise loves them. I look over the fence at my neighbour's garden and go puce with envy at all her canary coloured mop-head danders.

So now I'm free, the work is in and I'll have to wait to find out if it was any good. At the moment I don't really care, I'm just so glad to be done with it, and the sun is shining. Tomorrow, instead of slaving away at my computer trying to excavate my mind for the perfect line to convey some abstract notion, I will treat myself to a bag of topsoil and a few seeds. And if it rains I'll bake a cake instead. That's freedom.

Next week I'll have to get back to writing so here's hoping it rains.

12 comments:

Carole said...

What is a mop-head dander?

Free at last, free at last, thank God Almighty, you're free at last. Okay, maybe not that free, but to plant or bake is a good thing. I go for the sunshine and the planting.

Good luck on your work. I am sure it was supreme.

Kim Ayres said...

That sunshine was SOOOO good, wasn't it?

Eryl Shields said...

Carole ~ Try keeping me indoors when the sun is shining! You have to make the most of it around here, sun that is, so my house is a tip now but the garden is looking very neat. A mop-head dander is just a flowering dandelion in Shields-speak.

Kim ~ It was bloody marvellous. I fear my nose will be peeling soon. Did you get to have your afternoon kip in the garden?

PI said...

Now just be sure - all of you - that you use sun screen. You know it makes sense.
Good luck with the work Eryl and you do realise that it does help to have an encouraging word with the plants. They can't do it all alone.

Kanani said...

I haven't seen the sun in days. It's June gloom over here, though early by a month. However, being that in another two months I"ll be scorching every day until November, I really don't mind so much!

Eryl Shields said...

Pat ~ I fear I do talk to my plants, I think I bore them to death in fact. Only the weeds respond positively even as I rip them out at the roots.

Kanani ~ I hope you're getting some rain along with the gloom.

Conan Drumm said...

Sun here too, AT LAST! It's been a looooong wet few months with rain nearly every day and not a lot of sunlight so HUZZAH!
That said I had to dig an appaling bit of root out of the ground with a pick and I know there's loads more of it... boo hoo...
Let us know how the work is received!

Eryl Shields said...

Oh, I quite like a bit of digging with a pick, it makes me feel Amazonian.

The minute I know, you will know!

debra said...

we just spent 6 lovely days on the way to, in and on the way home from the North Carolina mountains: gloriously sunny in the daytime, and amazingly rainy at night and in the early morning. (did I mention that we were camping?) the sunshine and infusion of vitamin D made me smile.
And I did have a lovely piece of vanilla cheesecake in Asheville, NC, Eryl.

Eryl Shields said...

Sounds wonderful Debra, as long as your tent kept you dry at night. I quite like camping when it's pouring down at night, feeling all toasty in my sleeping bag yet incredibly close to the elements.

Do you know I can't remember the last time I had a slice of vanilla cheesecake and it's one of my very favourite things. I think I'll have to make one.

debra said...

it was wonderful, Eryl. Even if the tent did have a wee bit of water in it....

Mary Witzl said...

I'm up to my ears in ground elder too, and I've got plenty of dandelions to spare. I've also got a couple of pumpkin and tomato plants, some ageratum, sweet alyssum, and marigolds, and I'll have plenty for you to kill and still have some left over, if you're interested. Oh, and snapdragons. Let me know!