Diehards

Tuesday, 15 April 2008

Notice

This blogger is temporarily out of order. Our engineers are working round the clock to try and fix her, but bits keep breaking off.

I have a deadline that is beginning to leave teethmarks and I am so far off satisfying it that I'm seriously considering running away. It's not really asking that much: three poems and five thousand words of prose that, although they can be separated to an extent, must make a coherent whole. Oh, I almost forgot, there is also a one thousand word essay. My problem is choosing the right words to give it. Of all the thousands of words I've written, which ones will make it happiest? It's beginning to seem like a malevolent god. It has all the power, and I am a peasant trying to keep it from destroying my hovel. And I know it's a fussy bastard. The work needs to be accomplished, but is my idea of accomplished the same as its idea of it? What makes a poem accomplished, and how does a non-poet achieve it?

My head is currently bursting with terms like 'dactylic hexameter',' 'trochaic substitution.' 'caesura,' and 'bang, bang, bang, crash, alliterative hemistich.'

Stress, rhythm, form, shape, rhyme, half-rhyme, denotation, connotation, stanza, meter, ternary-foot, binary-foot, all these aspects, and probably more that I have forgotten, must be considered, and then chosen to form a harmonious whole. Do you remember the poem I recorded for the Storytellers Blog? Well apparently its 'sound sense' breaks down about half way through. So I'm currently trying to glue it back together without losing the meaning altogether.

I'm also trying to polish up a short story so that the reader is given enough information to let them know what's going on, but not so much that their imagination is disengaged. And, work out which part of a chapter on Nietzsche's concept of Will to Power to include. Two other poems also need to be worked on and, finally the introductory essay will have to be written. Not to mention the problem of typos, I am such a rubbish typist, but odd spellings and punctuation will lose me marks that I cant afford to lose.

I have fifteen days.

I need a secretary.

So, until the deed is done I'm afraid there will be no more Camper Van tales, or any other tales. I will, on occasion, visit the blogs of you chaps, it will be a nice diversion, but I may not comment because that usually takes a bit of effort.

Wish me luck, or judgment...

13 comments:

Kim Ayres said...

I wish you the feeling of success, fulfilment and excitement that usually accompanies a double espresso.

Carole said...

All the King's horses and all the King's men couldn't put Eryl together again. Be careful girlie. I exploded and lost a fifth of my brain power just reading what you had to do. My thoughts are with you and if I lived next door, I would be over post haste to do your typing.

debra said...

Take a moment, have that coffee and
a vanilla cheesecake. And B-R-E-A-T-H-E. No judgment from me, my friend, just hugs and luck

PI said...

Lots of luck Eryl. Back to basics. Stop thinking - just write - you can do it. Don't listen to anyone who says you can't. And do what Debra says.xoxoxo

Mary Witzl said...

I agree with Pi and Debra. The only good thing about terms like those you've used (God -- just trying to remember them!) is that you can use them to sound like you know what you're doing when someone says to you what a man said to me just yesterday, that he envied people who could just sit around and do nothing, like writers. I've been struggling with a hideous 120,000 word manuscript that is badly in need of rewriting, and his face keeps popping up in my mind. I just wish he were doing it and not me. I wish him lots of, um, dactylic hexameter? Was that it? LOTS of it.

Conan Drumm said...

I'm with Pat.

If all else has failed record yourself speaking the poetry out loud. If metre/rhythm is really important, calmly walk it out on a quiet road - stride.. stride.. stride.. step.. etc. Lastly, put your hand on your heart and hear the words as it beats.

Eryl Shields said...

Kim ~ Does a double espresso really do that for you? Even a single one will turn me into a frantic grubbing flea.

Carole ~ You have given me one more reason for wishing you did live next door.

Debra ~ I am breathing I promise!

Pat ~ Stop thinking? I think my problem may be that I never started.

Mary ~ Point him out to me in the street and I will poke his eyes out.

Conan ~ Thank you, I did the recording thing and what a difference it's made! Now I can hear where I'm going wrong. If only I could work out how to put it right. Mmm, the quiet road beckons.

All of you, thank you so much for your kind words. It's nearly over and if I'm honest I am reveling in the agony, like a self-harmer I think, but without recourse to blades.

Sam, Problemchildbride said...

I hope it's all going well for you, Eryl. All the others have given you such good advice I've got nothing to add.
It'll all be worth it in the end - keep at it, girl! And, while not forgetting all the tools you've learnt, be true to your own voice.

Good luck, darling!

Pendullum said...

Sending good thoughts your way....
See you at the end of the tunnel...

Eryl Shields said...

Sam ~ It's done! Thanks for your positive words. Do you know, staying true to my own voice was probably the hardest part of the task, but I think I did it, sort of.

Pen ~ Hello there! Thank you for the good thoughts, they worked, the tunnel has passed. Now I can come visiting again, hurrah!

debra said...

Eryl ---I've missed you! I thought of you and your vanilla cheesecake while I was visiting #1 daughter in New York City. I wanted the vanilla and she wanted the chocolate. Since we were sharing, we got the chocolate. Next time, vanilla!

Carole said...

Eryl -- Just a note to thank you on your comment on my blog. I removed the post on Norma's request as she felt that if a publisher got wind of her prior problems, it would hurt her publishing options.

Eryl Shields said...

Debra~ We always give into our children don't we? Nice to be missed and thought of. I don't think any one has ever thought of me whilst in New York City before!

Carole ~ Cripes, I would never have thought of that, but I can see what she means now. You have to be so careful don't you?