Diehards

Tuesday, 12 February 2008

Collection Box

This is a quickie, or should be. Being a bit of a collector: rocks, shells, beach-glass, deads, ribbon, gilt-edged plates, globes, maps, paintings, shoes... I've run out of space, without having run out of the instinct to possess. So I thought I'd start collecting platitudes. You know the sort of thing: 'Men only want one thing'; 'Women drivers!'; 'Kids now-a-days', to which a nodding response of understanding is given and no more is said, or thought. I hate that, that lack of thought. It's lazy and unfulfilling. It seems to me some people live their lives by platitudes, and if you ask them what they mean they look at you as if you're mad or stupid. So you don't ask. You nod too and then go off feeling faintly bewildered.

I reckon there's poetry to be had in these phrases for unthinking living. I could sit somewhere like our local cafe for the next five years listening out for them or I could ask you for contributions. Have you stumbled upon any lately, are there any you use yourselves - surely not! - or any someone you know tends to use? My mother was filled with the 'what do you expect, he's a man?' sort, sometimes she'd say them with bile and sometimes with a tone of indulgence or acceptance. I can't remember them exactly now.

There must be some new ones kicking about that I haven't come across because I spend so much time alone in my garret too. Eco-platitudes perhaps: 'They don't recycle.' 'Ahh...' nuff said.

All contributions gratefully received.

10 comments:

Kanani said...

Knock on wood.

Do you want fries with that?

Chill.

Peace Out.
Thomas Farber wrote a slim book called THe Price Of The Ride, which is a collection of epigrams, like
Sex brings two people together who otherwise would not have met.

Carole said...

Your time will come

There are plenty of fish in the sea.

There is someone out there everyone

Just be yourself

Snap out of it.

It's all in your head.

Eryl Shields said...

Kanani ~ I have to get that book!

Carole ~ I'm still hoping my time will come but I know if I just be myself it definitely won't happen because I just can't seem to snap out of it even though I know it is all in my head.

I'm going to designate a special platitudes section in my journal and write these all down.

Conan Drumm said...

Hiberno-English is full of them, like: 'twasn't off the ground he licked it.

Eryl Shields said...

Conan drumm ~ trying to comprehend that one is going to keep me awake nights for some time to come.

PI said...

There's nowt so queer as folk.
They're all queer except thee and me and thy's a bit queer at times!
What goes around comes around.
Do unto others - before they do you.
I call a spade a spade!
You'll have to take me as you find me!
A fool and his money are soon parted.
The darkest hour is just before dawn.
You pays your money and you takes your choice.
I'm done!

Eryl Shields said...

I'd forgotten about the spade people! thanks Pat.

Mary Witzl said...

"You know how it is." That is my favorite. Someone once said that to me with a knowing look and I replied, "No, I don't, actually. Tell me!" And you are right -- the person in question looked at me like I was nuts.

"You'll get what you want when you quit wanting it" is another one, and I seem to hear it all the time. No one ever tells me how to quit wanting it, though.

Eryl Shields said...

Mary ~ you gave that person the opportunity to tell their story and they didn't grab it!

Thanks for these, they are all going in my little black book.

Mary Witzl said...

I know, I know! Catch me every turning down the chance to tell MY story!

Like Pi says, there's nowt so queer as folk.