Mary has kindly asked me to share my blogging expertise in order to help those new to the blogopolis to thrive. So here are my top tips for successful blogging:
1) Never forget your own insignificance: Why do you think that anyone would ever want to read your thoughts on anything?
2) Learn from the greats: Read only those blogs that regularly get over a hundred comments. They know the secret.
3) Read the comments first. This way you will learn what to think of the post before you actually read it. This makes reading far more productive.
4) Don't attempt to set down a single word until you are utterly convinced that you have a thorough understanding of the 'greats'.
5) Emulate: Start by typing out in full all those great posts you have discovered. Do this over and over again keeping these practice sessions to yourself.
6) Emulate II: Slowly and carefully practice writing the 'great posts' in your own words. Never substitute your own ideas though. In fact, make their ideas your own.
7) Remember there are rules in the blogsphere as there are rules in life. Learn them, they are there for a reason. You do not need to know what that reason is, just that it exists.
Realising that I may have missed out some crucial elements I now ask the good Doctor Maroon, Pat and Carole to fill in the gaps.