Diehards

Wednesday, 25 July 2007

Scoop

What an interesting couple of days I've had! We, of the Save Crichton Campus campaign group, have been trying to think of ways to keep the campaign going during the summer holidays. So Bob suggested setting up a group on Facebook, 'do it' I said, and he did. On Monday he patiently set up a group, using my profile, on facebook called Save Glasgow University at Crichton Campus and I set about inviting people to join. I got six members in a few hours and then one of them noticed we'd spelt Crichton wrong! So, as I couldn't edit the title, we had to scrap that group and set up a new one yesterday. Then Bob noticed that Gordon Brown, our new Prime Minister, had joined the facebook community so he invited him to be his friend. Gordon accepted. Bob then invited Mr. Brown to join our group. This morning when I got up Bob rather excitedly told me to check the group page, before I'd even had a cup of tea. I put the kettle on then went to my computer.

There in the members section of the group was, da-da-da, Gordon Brown!!!!! How cool is that? Of only two groups our P. M. has joined one of them is ours. What a scoop. It seems that he is a truly egalitarian Prime Minister interested in keeping education available to everyone. Lets hope the money men take note.

I'm afraid with all this activity I still haven't got round to writing up my hike diary for this blog yet but hope to get it done at some point soon. I know some of you want to know about the baby frog plague. Meanwhile here is a photograph of the four key walkers in our finest at the Graduation Ball.


We are (clockwise from bottom left) Wendy, hike co-ordinator; Robert; Bob and me.

You won't believe the problems I had with that dress but at least it was long enough to hide my hugely puffed up ankles and feet.

12 comments:

Carole said...

Very cool about Gordon Brown.

You look beautiful in the dress and your son is a pretty smart cookie. Way to go.

Mary Witzl said...

That really is something, Eryl! I'm trying to imagine what I'd do if Gordon Brown joined my group. Probably think the whole thing was a hoax and tell him off, thereby making him so angry he'd never come back.

And that is a great photo of you, and the next time I go clothes shopping, you have to come with me. (Don't worry: I only do that about once every three years...)

Kanani said...

Lovely photo of you! Very nice dress!

Glad to hear you're having fun with Facebook. I've not started it because I've been having fun trying to get all my friends on skype!

Eryl Shields said...

Carole ~ Thanks. Looking at the photo again I look like I've got enormous breast which I really don't.

Mary ~ I do wonder if it really is him but Bob checked out the Labour party web site and they have links to facebook all over the place. And his page looks genuine. I guess I'll find out soon enough, meanwhile it's fun to think it's true.

I'm happy to go shopping with you anytime. I quite like shopping for a purpose that isn't my own. I got the dress from TKMax for a song while there to buy pants for Stevie.

Kanani ~ I am just beginning to have fun with it. I couldn't work out what it was for earlier but now it has a use I'm hooked.

I had to ask Bob what skype was; it sounds complicated!

Pendullum said...

Wow that is truly amazing....

My country has university costs soaring through the roof...and education,or higher education seems to be for the elite...
I think that your new PrimeMinister signing up to your group is an amazing thing...
You guys can move educational mountains,,,,

And by the way...
You look hot...
What a dress...
I highly doubt you had puffed ankles and feet as ou are glowing in the picture....

Eryl Shields said...

Pen ~ We are desperately trying to stop the process that seems to be underway to make higher education only for the elite here. Until quite recently anyone, no matter what their background, could get a grant and study for free. Now you have to take out a loan which puts those from poorer families off. If the people from our region have to go to one of the cities to study that adds enormously to the cost. Keeping our campus, therefore, is paramount to ensuring our young people can get access to higher education. However, the money men are trying to shut us down. I understand that they have a job to do but can't help thinking that short term strategies yield short term results and that is no way to deal with education. Anyway, let's hope you are right and we can move this particular mountain.

Hot eh? Thanks that's cool. My feet and ankles were so puffy (from the walk) that I couldn't wear the shoes I wanted. They're ok now though.

PI said...

You all look lovely. I've got hopes for G Brown!

Kim Ayres said...

I'm afraid I'm not convinced it's the real GB. Quite apart from the sheer unlikeliness that he'd now have the time to create a facebook profile, it's the photo album that really looks dodgy. Of all the photos he could chose to put up, it's unlikely he'd use those ones, which I think are all in the public domain anyway.

Still, you look great in the photo :)

Eryl Shields said...

PI - Thank you. I have hope for him too but they don't (now) include that he really has joined my group. However, I am keeping an open mind as you just never know.

Kim ~ But do you not think it's possibe that he has a member of staff doing it for him? Of course, if he has that means it's not really him - lord!

Kim Ayres said...

There's a guy listed in his "Friends" who is also listed in the "Friends" of a dodgy Tony Blair Facebook entry too, so I'm afraid I remain sceptical. I'd so love to believe it though.

Still it might not do any harm if a few other people see it and believe.

Eryl Shields said...

Kim ~ You're so thorough!

Camiseta Personalizada said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).